Author Topic: Puncture repair kits  (Read 293 times)

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Puncture repair kits
« on: 15 May, 2022, 20:07:59 »
Hi all, having to buy two expensive tubeless tyres for my modern bike in two years due to punctures I was lucky I noticed them back home next day, I cant remember seeing any adverts in the MCN or OBM for get you home repair kits I know they are available from Ebay but does any one know if they have been banned from the media for some reason.Thanks Roy

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Puncture repair kits
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2022, 20:40:24 »
the problem I know of is the fitting of the repair. its ok at home watching you tube, but on a "superbike" if the tyre is newish, I would get it repaired professionally by vulcanisation. if the tyre is close to worn then scrap the tyre.
I used to get scooters in where the owner tried squirting a mousse sealant in after the puncture. this results in the mousse/goo coating the underside of the mudguard. mousse should go in before puncture, which would coat the inside then the air from the outside would set the mousse.

as for mushroom plugs fit inside only.
plain plugs are get you home help  they might work but the canister of air will only get you home. and like a space saver car spare limit you to low speed to get you home.
I suspect the lack of advertising being makers are reliant on customer fitting correctly. incorrect fitting and failure resulting in failure could mean bad publicity.
I do not repair or plug tyres, even my car has a screw in has had for months, even passing an mot. its on the rear and happened soon after fitting. if it were front, I probably would replace. vulcanised repair over £40 away for a week, a budget tyre £60.

AdrianS

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2022, 08:30:10 »
Iíve used those sticky string repairs mainly on car tyres. Done lots over the years for family and friends. Never had one fail. Cheap as chips to buy. Iíve left them in car tyres for the life of the tyre, for a bike I get the tyre vulcanised if there is life left or a new tyre.
I think the reason they are not advertised ( like all safety related items) is that most people are incapable of using them properly?
Sign of the times unfortunately - how many youngsters could wire up a 3 pin plug properly or safely?

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2022, 12:01:21 »
 :) :) :) :)

I really don't know.why we are not using cushion tyres on a hardened run flat base, bonded to the rim. You can buy em for a wheel barrow so why on earth not for general use vehicles. I'm aware they are bad at heat dissipation.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2022, 15:12:05 »
they use Mousse sponge infillers on motocross bikes, take the place of an inner tube. soft foam, no air so wont puncture.
presumably although they withstand the torque from a modern mx bike, they might not stand the heat from multiple miles of road work.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2022, 17:47:52 »
 :) :) :) :)

USofA military was trialing a similar thing on their desert Humvees (and others) but as I said they were bonded and I guess that a point of wear excess they would have to be completely rebuilt.--Dont know--but very interesting---I'll try to find trial info and results if any.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

BILL NELSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2022, 14:59:17 »
I bought one of the plug and gas bulb kits for my expedition to Alicante, but fortunately didn't need to use it.
When the bike picked up a nail here in the rear Avon that was only 1 week old, Avon told me that Wheelhouse Tyres were an authorised and reputable repairer. They did it fine.
The current Sprint is my only transport at present, so when I suffered a rapid deflation on a Sunday morning (another screw in the rear) & AA said they'd collect the wheel for a new tyre on the Monday afternoon, I decide to use the repair kit as a temporary fix.
A total waste of time.
1. the tool for clearing the hole was made of cheese and was a real struggle to use
2. the hole made by the tool wasn't wide enough to allow the hooked end of the tool to push the sealing bung in
3. there wasn't enough adhesive in the tiny tube in the kit to be of any use
I gave up & as the tyre was down to 3mm, I rang a local place & arrange a new tyre. Bike tyres need to go back to their depot, but they collected & returned the wheel for me, after I'd removed and cleaned it.
Excellent service.
https://www.northantsmobiletyres.co.uk

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2022, 15:29:54 »
as an aside to repairs or pre filling with a sealer.
one of my local competitors used to do tyres, but, if they had the liquid sealer inside they charged an extra tenner for fitting when it poured out on the floor and got over the floor and tools which they then had to clean up after.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2022, 15:39:11 »
Hi,

For tubed tyres an old fashioned glue and patch is the only way.  Some sealants claim to work with tubes but they tend to fling out of the tyre as it deflates and the bead seal gives up.
With tubeless tyres the proper 'permanent seal and repair' ones will probably work. They clam to last as long as the life of the tyre.    I have not had a puncture to test this but on having to replace a worn out tyre I drilled several 3mm holes in it and it sealed each time.
It is a petty that this stuff will not seal around the spokes otherwise no tubes would be needed.  Anyone out there  want to undertake the experiment?

Dave.