Author Topic: Upper cylinder lubricant  (Read 522 times)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Upper cylinder lubricant
« on: 12 May, 2022, 07:57:18 »
Having several bikes thya can go a a while between runs allowing oil to drain off some moving parts. In addition the older bikes such as the Sloper don't have a rocker oil feed and is supplied with a lower cyclinder plug to remove so you manually have to squirt some oil into before starting the engine if its been standing for a few months.

In the old daya I would have had a squirt of redex when refueling but redex isn't marketed as an upper cyclinder lubrcant anymore. There are other products that (eg Lucas Oil) that claim to be upper cyclinder lubricant but I've not come across any independent reviews so for now have to list these under 'snake oil'.

One simple solution would be to add some two stroke oil to the petrol but would this work ro just coke everything up bver time ?

I would be grateful for any suggestions form anyone who has practical experience of this subject,
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Upper cylinder lubricant
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2022, 08:23:53 »
from my past experience, using redx in the seventies, you could tell was getting used as it made the exhaust smell and smoke. with 2 stroke oil on scooters ridden by slower riders tended to gum up, the engine needs to rev higher to burn off as in 2 stroke motocross and race bikes. The need for plug chops on race bikes took place to check how the fuel was burning , slower riding back to pits gave a false reading.
On the T100 I used an additive/lead substitute, as I didnt ride it much I found it gummed up the carb and now have 15 litres in a can of fuel that is green and too thick for the jets. Castrol R was always difficult as if not burnt off lacquered the fuel system, but on a race bike, speedway, road or mx  went fast and hot enough to burn off.
I would suggest , if using 2 stroke oil in fuel, jets might have to increase in size as Ive found ethanol fuel clogs the carbs if not being used and being a classic road bike it may not get hot enough to burn off.

Richard Mills

• Blue Star
  • B33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2022, 14:39:14 »
Surely one would only use a small 'splash' of two-stroke oil if adding to the fuel in a four-stroke engine. Do you really think that this would cause any carb. clogging, or necessitate different jet sizes?

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2022, 21:26:40 »
will it react with ethanol?

Ive used valve master in the T100 and wont use it again. correct mix didnt do the carb any good as I dont use the bike.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2022, 10:35:04 »
 :) :) :) :)

I still use REDEX. No longer sold as upper cylinder lube
, but as gereral engine lub.

Ebay approx £12 per Ltr

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2022, 15:25:14 »
I took the trouble to check the BSA lubrication chart for the V-Twin three wheeler I have pinned to the garage wall (in the spirit of 'If all else fails check the manual' ::).
It states that Castrollo should be added to the petrol for upper cylinder lubrication.
You can only but empty cans of Castrollo and they can fetch up to £300 so I will try and remember to call Castrol classic tech expert for advise. I will then try to remember to post what I find.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

BILL NELSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2022, 16:06:46 »
Hi Dean
Oil retention is one of the benefits of modern synthetic oils.
Nonetheless, I suspect that any modern oil will cling to the metal.
You can also squirt some into the cylinder before parking up & kick it over a few times to spread it.

AdrianS

« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2022, 08:34:53 »
I always put a drop of 2 stroke oil into my old 4 stroke petrol tanks. Never caused any problem. I also feel it may offer a tiny bit of protection to the inside of the tank.

I also remember in the 70’s reading somewhere that a condom was an essential part of your tool kit on the bike. It said it could carry a few pints of petrol if you ran out, carry water if necessary and also be useful if you got lucky!
It also said that the sensitol lubricant was dynamite upper cylinder lube!

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2022, 11:54:47 »
 :) :) :) :)

I can identify with the condom thing. A few moons ago, during an inititive exercise we ere each instructed to move as much water as possible from a water tank to a container in a specified time and issued with a condon to do the job. Very successful but I doubt very much that 'liquid carrier' would wear as a valid reason for it being in the avarage tool kit. So I'll pass on that one.

By the way if you put an 'alkaseltzer' and a small amount of water in one, it will produce enough gas/lift to carry a small ashtray around the bar.  I know.

Now will it be that BSAOC campsites will be identified by the UFO's around.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)