Author Topic: Recommisioning 1964 A65  (Read 747 times)

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Recommisioning 1964 A65
« on: 10 May, 2022, 11:39:58 »
I am recommisioning my brother inlaws A65 in lue of selling  after  being layed up for a eighteen months , just wondering about best  fair weather oils to use for engine , primary chain gear and gearbox , TIA .

Spaceman

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Recommisioning 1964 A65
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2022, 06:38:04 »
I'm not a person who is particularly fussy about what oils I use in classic motorcycles - I don't do much in the way of mileages and so wear is not an issue. If was was fussy, I would probably use a classic Castrol multi-grade engine oil XL20W/50 with a 10/30 or 10/40 for the primary chaincase. These are in line with what the Haynes Manual recommends. For the gearbox, an EP90 oil is recommended.

Not being fussy, I tend to use a modern MA2 10W50 mineral oil like Motul 3000 4T in both the engine and primary chaincase where the MA2 means it is suitable for motorcycle wet clutches.

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2022, 10:38:24 »
Thanks for reply , have now sourced  the oils, I went with a  detergent free SAE 20 for primary, Morric classic SAE 50 for engine and  a 80/90 GL4 hypoid for the gearbox.

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2022, 20:35:01 »
Now have the oils, and when filling the primary chaincase it's dripping and the fuel tap plungers are leaking also , wondering which gaskets people recommend , have seen nitrile   and paper ones,  not sure which to get , also have seen replacement plungers , the quality seem questionable would like to repair but have to buy the brass part that peens over to put new corks on and no cheaper than buying the whole plunger . Advice welcome.
« Last Edit: 14 May, 2022, 20:41:36 by pockets »

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2022, 21:00:19 »
Hi Pockets,

The corks for the taps are usually available.  The brass bit should tap out with suitable punch and fit back quite tightly with new corks fitted.  I have done this several times.
Before buying anything try putting the plungers/corks in boiling water until they swell up.  Unless they are completely  up it should work.  Once refitted and kept moist with fuel they should last a while.
For the primary case use a good quality gasket.  Paper ones are hard to get sealed and do not last.

Dave.

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2022, 22:25:48 »
thanks for reply , one of the corks may reseal once plimmed up the other is pretty shot and very loose , thanks for the tip , alway prefer to repair ,  I'll order a couple of new corks , is there a particular supplier or brand you'd recommend for the gasket or should I just get a nitrile one  off fleabay ?

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2022, 08:40:11 »
Hi,

I suspect that most of the suppliers get them from the same manufacturer.  Going by my own experience and comments on this Forum, some of the more reliable suppliers seem to be SRM, C and D Autos, Draganfly, Kidderminster Motorcycles and Burton Bike Bits. 

Dave.

Dibble

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:10:03 »
Hi pockets,couldn't agree more with Daves recommendations re gaskets and indeed parts in general. All those suppliers have come up trumps for me! The SRM supplied gaskets have proven superior every time! Good luck. Dave

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2022, 12:52:47 »
Thanks guys appreciated, the hotwater tirck  seems to have worked for the plungers, haven't reffited as yet but they seem a lot snugger so should be good, will order the gasket and probably use some  wellseal also as seems to be the go to sealent . Also the banjo  bolt  fitting to carb doesnt have an outer washer for the shoulder of bolt  to seal , thought it was gunna leak whenI reinstalled , the manual doesnt seem to show one just relying on the filter to seal ,have put some ptfe on the outer part of the bulb to bolt interface hopefully that'll solve it .
« Last Edit: 15 May, 2022, 13:20:52 by pockets »

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2022, 13:19:08 »
She's now firing up briefly when I prime the pots with a squirt of fuel down the plug hole and responds briefly to throttle before stalling , have cleaned out carb again to check for blockage but seemed ok , could just be me not used to starting a classic bike , and flooding it , any tips on starting in good weather and base settings on carbs screws of concentric amal , they should be set ok as started and ran fine before sitting up for 18mnths but worth checking .
« Last Edit: 21 May, 2022, 13:28:28 by pockets »

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2022, 17:33:34 »
Dont be surprised if you need to keep the choke on for quite a while after starting until it will run without as it warms up. Even in the warm weather.
I found out after rebuilding my Royal Star. As most of bikes up to now have been happy with a tickle and away they go. my RS with a brand new Amal Premier, didnt/doesnt want know until at east a mile has been ridden on full choke. Apparently, that is normal and how they are supposed to work, just not used to a combination of a properly rebuilt engine and totally un worn carb!!!

Chris

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2022, 20:01:39 »
It wont run for more than a few seconds before conking out , am looking into the Wassell EI as maybe being the issue , the spark doesnt seem that bright and also seems to work and then not spark  a good few kicks and then work again job  to tell as not sure on the bsa firing order may just be were it going through the four strokes. other possibility is ful but been through the carb and cleaned , all seems good but have a ally mfloat needle on order as it doesnt seem to want to stop any higher just bellow 5mm but them seems within parameters of 4.3 and 6.3 . also when tickling it takes it passed that and should run for longer than what it does surely. running out of ideas and may get the local bike shop to run it up on there roller starter as if that doesnt get it going then obviously has an issue somewhere.