Author Topic: B31 (1954) - how to fit side stand?  (Read 1004 times)

chrisb

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
B31 (1954) - how to fit side stand?
« on: 25 April, 2022, 17:20:51 »
Now my B31 is finally running, I'm finding it a bit of an effort getting on and off the centre stand (my bad back and knees not helping).   I have the original side stand which the previous owner removed since he felt the bike lent over at a bit too much of an angle.  I can't for the life of me work out how it fits back on.  Grateful if someone could post a pic of a B31 side stand fitted (and where it fits) so I can have a go at getting it back on.  Many thanks

Greenfield

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: B31 (1954) - how to fit side stand?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2022, 07:45:01 »
Hi Chris
The sidestand pics are from my 1950 B33 which hopefully should be similar to yours. When I got the bike the bracket clamping the stand to the frame had been welded to prevent it turning. I also found that when the bike was on the sidestand it was leaning a bit too much so I lengthened it. Its a heavy bike so I tend to use the centre stand only when parked up in the garage.

chrisb

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2022, 08:30:00 »
many thanks for the pics.  Just what I needed and a job for this weekend.  How do you go about lengthening the side stand - I might have to look into that next.

Greenfield

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2022, 09:23:09 »
Clamp the sidestand to the frame so that when folded up its parallel to the frame and doesn't catch anything. Lower the stand and pack the foot with a scrap of timber until the bike is at a reasonable angle and measure how much you need to lengthen the leg. What I've done on both my B33 and B40 is to cut the leg part way along, thread both ends internally to fit a threaded bar of around 5/16" diameter, make sure the foot is at the correct angle, then weld the joint to make it completely solid. Once the weld has been ground to the correct profile and painted, you'd never know anything has been done.

chrisb

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2022, 21:14:03 »
That's bloody clever!   ;D   Thanks for the tip.  (Will need to get someone else to do the welding for me since I don't have the kit (and can't remember how to weld - it must have been 35 years ago when I last did some on an engineering course!)). 

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2022, 06:35:24 »
I have the clamp on type of side stand on plunger M21 and B31. They work well without welding (although that is a good option) as long as you get everything clean (degreased) before clamping. The angle of lean should also be only enough for it to work, the more lean the more pressure on the clamp and the more likely it will start slipping.

Greenfield

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2022, 08:07:52 »
What I forgot to say was that you add one or two nuts to the exposed threaded insert to act as spacers to lengthen the stand and the threaded rod should be a good fit inside the leg. A bit of welding will then prevent it from unscrewing.

chrisb

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2022, 21:20:06 »
Many thanks for the advice.  I'll have a go at clamping mine this weekend and see if I can get an acceptable lean without extending the bar and welding. 

Btw, what is the brown attachment in the pic just forward of the stand.  I haven't got one of those! 

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2022, 07:20:43 »
that is a lash-up to limit the brake pedal movement upwards. Temporary until I can make something less obtrusive.  ;D

Greenfield

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2022, 08:22:38 »
I think we've drifted from the original topic here, but this is what I've done to restrict the upward movement of the brake pedal. The bracket doesn't need to be super strong as there's little pressure on it. The bolt allows for any adjustment and the rubber prevents metal to metal contact.

Derek996

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2022, 10:21:29 »
I think we've drifted from the original topic here, but this is what I've done to restrict the upward movement of the brake pedal. The bracket doesn't need to be super strong as there's little pressure on it. The bolt allows for any adjustment and the rubber prevents metal to metal contact.
I like that. It's given me ideas about doing something similar for my rigid B32. The pedal is higher than I'd like and stops against the footrest with a clank when I release the brake.
1948 B32 Competition
2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic
2017 Ducati Supersport 939

chrisb

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2022, 20:16:35 »
Got the sidestand fitted but it interferes with the centre stand.  (Centre stand won't come down with sidestand up).   Is this normal or might I have got the 'wrong' sidestand for this bike?

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2022, 19:06:59 »
Got the sidestand fitted but it interferes with the centre stand.  (Centre stand won't come down with sidestand up).   Is this normal or might I have got the 'wrong' sidestand for this bike?
Is the centre stand on the right way around? They aren't symmetrical (but probably wouldn't work very well the wrong way round!)
I think mine just catches the other sometimes, but I can't think in what situation (I.e. which one is up or down, or both)

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2022, 19:11:58 »
If you were to fit the centre stand the wrong way round you would be unable to fit the spring as the peg would now be on the wrong side.

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2022, 09:45:10 »
If you were to fit the centre stand the wrong way round you would be unable to fit the spring as the peg would now be on the wrong side.
Yep, good shout. I knew there was something obvious other than the lugs it sits against when lowered!