Author Topic: 52 BSA B33 Gearbox  (Read 402 times)

WayneBergman

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
52 BSA B33 Gearbox
« on: 13 April, 2022, 01:44:37 »
I am sorting out some issues with my gearbox.Its all in pieces now and a few things are puzzling me. What appears to be spacers shown in the illustration attached, highlighted with the red arrows are a puzzle to me. Are they really supposed to be outbound of the Shifting shaft main bushings, like between the bushings and the gearbox case? Seems like a weird place to put these spacers. Also I dont think I have those spacers shown in the photo of the illustration attached. Are they really needed? Also any tips for how to best shim this shifting shaft with in the gear case bushings would be helpful. Not sure how important this is? Thanks ........wayne

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: 52 BSA B33 Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2022, 06:54:42 »
the shims are there to adjust the end float on the shafts, which is important.
I have attached part of the information regarding this.
good luck  ;D

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2022, 23:20:31 »
As above, they are to set the end float of the selector shaft. I didn't require them in mine, nor were any removed before I fitted the new bushes (but the old bushes were heavily worn!). Simply put, you really want as little end float as you can get away with without it binding up when hot or even when the inner cover is tightened - with little to no end float all the motion imparted by the cams is used to move the forks and the selector dogs rather than moving the selector shaft. The excess endfloat on my selector shaft, coupled with a worn fork and groove caused 3rd gear to drop in and out of mesh - it's worth getting right!

WayneBergman

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2022, 01:00:54 »
Thanks a bunch Calum and Pete, the information PDF and the comments will help a lot. Waiting for a few parts still to come before putting it all back together and tackling the end float adjustments - I will update as things go.
One further question please.........I am thinking the clutch on my B33 is a dry clutch but not sure on how it works best. I realize oil from the primary splashes around in the clutch area and must somewhat put some oil on the clutch plates but does the clutch really need any oil on it for proper working? The reason I ask is, the few miles i put on this bike I would prefer to just spray some chain lube on the primary chain through the inspection port and forget about keeping a level of oil in the primary case as its prome to leaking and seems like a loosing battle. If I just spray chain  lube on the chain as needed will my clutch suffer in giving smooth workings. I am now installing new clutch plates with the gear box fixup so looking forward to fewer leaks and a smoother running machine . .........thanks wayne

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2022, 06:51:49 »
The clutch itself doesn't need any oil but the bearing on which it runs will need some lubrication. The bearing only really comes into play when the clutch is disengaged and a good dollop of grease when assembling will keep it going for a while. You would not be the first to try this and, as I haven't read any disaster stories, it is probably not a problem for the sort of use you may be putting the bike to. I wouldn't try it on a bike that is going to see a lot of use though.
Have fun with the gearbox, shimming that can be a trial of the patience, and don't forget to take into account the gasket thickness - don't ask  :-[