Author Topic: Valve rocker shaft  (Read 206 times)

JammyRedRoo

• Star
    • View Profile
Valve rocker shaft
« on: 03 April, 2022, 17:30:48 »
A little help needed on my 1935 B35-2 what is the correct position for the inlet and exhaust valve rocker shafts single lube exit point, i removed mine to clean out hardened grease. Each of the shafts were clocked differently the exhaust facing the rear of the bike at 3 o'clock and the inlet at 11 o'clock, I hope that makes sense.

Each rocker is slotted to take a large flat screwdriver/tool at the end so that made me think the position needs be set, or do you just rotate them periodically.

I cant find any reference to this in any manual, or am i just over thinking this as the whole assembly sill looks like new and just put them back as i found them and lube as the manual states.

I have added three pictures to hopefully make sense of my ramblings.

TTJOHN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Valve rocker shaft
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2022, 10:32:52 »
Look very much like the AJS /Matchless type, where you just have to slacken off and adjust using the slot in the shaft to get the tappets correct, so as long as they are in roughly the same position as they were when you removed them, you should be able to adjust okay.

TTJ

JammyRedRoo

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2022, 15:16:12 »
Thanks TTJ i have decided to put them back exactly as i found them as they have done pretty good over the last 87 years  :D

Steve.S

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2022, 15:54:32 »
I am sure the rotational position of the rocker shafts is not important., but it looks more professional if they are in the same plane.