Author Topic: Belgium rally  (Read 395 times)

TTJOHN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Belgium rally
« on: 16 February, 2022, 10:05:15 »
The booking form to get accommodation is a bit of a joke, I think, the wife has just spent half an hour trying to book, caravans are already gone, but the booking form to enter the dates of myself and the mileage ridiculous, having to go through the years day by day, by the look of it, instead of just putting in the dates. I feel I am too old to camp now and want something more substantial with toilets and showers. Is there any hotels near by?
TTJohn

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium rally
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2022, 15:30:07 »
Contact Andy Lorenz our International Sec. I'm sure he will be able to help.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2022, 20:25:49 »
Hi John,

There does not appear to be much in the area. If you Google Polleur and zoom in a bit the screen has the option to have hotels or holiday rentals shown on the map. 

Dave.

TTJOHN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2022, 10:02:45 »
Hello Dave.

All okay now, I have booked a cabin and all the rally fees have been paid for. The next thing is the ferry booking, if I decided to take the bike in the van on the ferry it would cost more than taking the car and bike, so it looks like I will be riding and Gillian driving the car, crazy or what?

TTJohn

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2022, 10:15:51 »
Hi John,

It could be because it is a van so attracts a commercial rate.  It would be interesting to see how a car and trailer compares to a car and bike.

Dave.

TTJOHN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2022, 10:37:11 »
Dave.
I'm not sure either, I will have to get Gillian to have a look, I allow her to do all the booking as I hate doing that. Hopefully we could stand a chance of have this rally if that stupid Russian, Putin doesn't nuke us all first.

TTJ

A65ROCKET

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2022, 11:17:43 »
The cost of ferries has gone up quite a lot since I last went abroad for the French rally.
Towing a trailer, the Dover-Calais crossing was over 400, so I've gone for the Harwich-Hook which includes a 2 berth cabin for 510.

Remember that you can use Tesco vouchers (up to 210) against your booking for P&O and Stena

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2022, 17:15:55 »
For those taking a bike over, the the WM20 guys taking machines over to Normandy have some information that may be helpful

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1455019&cmd=show
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2022, 19:30:52 »
Hi,

A useful article to a degree but still a bit confusing.
I have looked at a few sites for such info. and my conclusion is that providing you are travelling with your bike and as before, the bike is registered for the road with numberplate, original V5 (ie not a photocopy) and valid insurance all should be well.  It is when a bike is not registered for the road and/or is being transported by a third party that it gets more complicated and the bike is classed as freight.

Dave.