Author Topic: G14 info  (Read 751 times)

Adrian.Hannam

• Star
    • View Profile
G14 info
« on: 22 March, 2022, 11:09:24 »
Hi, I am new to this forum, first post. Is this a good place to ask questions about a G14? I have picked up a rough but nearly complete one. It is missing the primary, clutch, gearbox and probably many other things. It has a couple of unusual features, a LH hand change, LH foot clutch pedal,  RH foot brake.  The numbers are non-matching; Frame KG.14.130, Engine KG.14.137. I like to find as much useful literature as possible for the bikes I own, I have found a 300(!) page parts list online which is a bit overwhelming. What is the best reading material for prewar BSA V-twins? I am located in Australia. Cheers, Adrian.

Spaceman

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: G14 info
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2022, 11:43:01 »
I couldn't see a dedicated BSA V-twin forum and so this forum may be the best to use. I note there is a 1938 Y13/14 BSA instruction book for sale which might be interesting and a more general pre-War BSA book:

https://thetimingchest.com/product/original-1938-bsa-y13-750cc-g14-1000cc-v-twins-motor-cycle-instruction-book/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8359041-the-book-of-the-bsa---an-owners-workshop-manual-for-pre-war-bsa-motorcyc

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2022, 12:45:22 »
That looks interesting, hand gear change on the left hand side. Would I be right in thinking the clutch is foot operated?

Y13 Alan G

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2022, 14:14:20 »
This is undoubtedly an export model as it has a left hand gear change. The G14 was primarily made for sidecar use so it would have been more sensible to have the gear change on the left. You will probably also find that the sidecar fitting tapers on the frame are also for a right hand sidecar.I restored a G32/12, forerunner of the G14, in 1975 which I still have and spare parts were more readily available then.I wish you the best of luck in finding the missing parts, they are no common.

Adrian.Hannam

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2022, 10:33:43 »
The sidecar fixings are on the LHS. In Australia we drive on the left. Perhaps this bike came here via the continent or the US?. There is a foot pedal flopping about on the left which I assume is for the clutch. It does not have a LH heel pedal. The RH foot pedal has a linkage below the frame that crosses to the LHS. All the primary and secondary drive and gearbox are missing, so at this early stage I am making some assumptions. Would it originally have had twist grip ignition control?

Y13 Alan G

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2022, 11:11:38 »
Ok I forgot you drive on the left in Australia. You are probably correct in that it has been imported from a country that drives on the right. It should have straight pull twist grips for both the throttle and Magneto advance & retard. The cables go through the center of the handle bars with exit holes to the carb & magneto. As far as I know all G14's had straight pull twistgrips when new.
I wish you every success in locating the missing parts.

Spaceman

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2022, 11:27:28 »
Adrian. Out of interest, did you acquire the sidecar as well as the bike which I assume were attached to each other at some point?

Adrian.Hannam

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2022, 14:00:50 »
Well, I got the sidecar too. I think we can safely say it was attached at some time. The body looks like a Dusting, but I'm no expert. I can tell you that the chassis is very very heavy. About as heavy as the anvil I scored at the same place. Did the early BSA's have matching numbers?

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2022, 14:26:54 »
No. The frame and engine numbers are very unlikely to read the same when it left the factory.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2022, 09:46:26 »
 :) :) :) :)

Only comment I can make. "Wish it were mine" problems and all.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)