Author Topic: Torches  (Read 956 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Torches
« on: 03 March, 2022, 15:32:35 »
Afternoon all,
In a gloomy garage, peering into some part of the bike, it's often useful to have a torch. I'm thinking a headtorch might be a good idea, as it would leave the hands free. Any recommendations, based on experience? My experience of torches in general is that they aren't very reliable.
 Phil

Spaceman

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Torches
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2022, 16:41:18 »
I've got a couple of different headlamps made by Petzl which I bought a long time ago and have been totally reliable. However, I've never actually used them for working on a motorbike and tend to use an LED inspection lamp when needed which provides a much wider beam of light. 

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2022, 20:10:43 »
if its any use, i dont use head lamps.
reason, I wear cheap glasses a couple of quid from the poundshop style outlets. I must have a dozen pairs of them with arms missing or broken lenses as working on bikes most days Im always hitting levers, bars, footrests etc.
to have what resembles a rhino horn stuck on my forehead wont help.
I use Sealey led torches that have magnets  and/or hooks that i can place where needed.

just my view on it, if you are only working on one bike once in a while then probably ok.

johncarter

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2022, 09:29:50 »
I agree with Chaz.. I thought a headlamp was a great idea, bought one but never use it. It's just not effective and I find wearing one a distraction. One of these LED torches with a hook and magnet is the best method I've found. Even inspection lamps and those lights you get on construction sites are no good - you're always working in the shadows..

Spaceman

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2022, 09:35:39 »
I use an auto inspection lamp which you can clip on to the bike to provide a good level illumination. I've also got Sealey type LED torches but the inspection lamp provides a much wider beam of light.

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2022, 10:26:37 »
I do use a head torch I find it works great for me  mine has 2 settings one brighter than the other and it shines directly on what I am looking at ,it is also rechargeable with a USB cable and lasts for about 3 hours it cost me £7.99 at a local sports shop. I also have a couple magnetic battery powered torches and a mains powered portable light but they are sometimes awkward to position exactly. where you want them to light  something.
« Last Edit: 04 March, 2022, 10:31:44 by bikerbob »

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2022, 10:30:24 »
Morning and thanks everyone. Just before bikerbob's message, there not until then having been much praise for headtorches, I ordered a magnetic torch. I'll see how it goes anyway. Thanks again.
Phil

Stubaker58

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2022, 12:40:34 »
Hi Phil,
I’ve always found Petzl headtorches to be excellent.  Even their cheap LED one is pretty good.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2022, 14:35:12 »
Hi,

No matter what light you use there always seems to be a shadow exactly where you want to look.  I find a headlight useful as it can be pointed pretty much at the where you eyes are looking.  The one I have can be focussed so putting a bright light on the subject.
One downside is that I sometimes forget I have it on and the reflection on the 'telly' can be quite annoying.

Dave.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2022, 15:52:48 »
I am a great fan of led head torches.
Even when you think you have got enough light a bit extra can really make the job easier. This is especially so as most of us on here will be of an age where the eyes ned extra light.
The advanatge of head lamps as Dave points out, is that it puts the light where your eyes are looking and you can't cast your own shadow over the bit you are trying to see. . Our older eyes are also more sensitive to glare (the older lens and cornea scatter light more) and  a head mounted light  might cause less glare.

Just remember to turn it off before turning to talk to someone or you will not be popular ;D
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2022, 16:43:06 »
Morning and thanks everyone. Just before bikerbob's message, there not until then having been much praise for headtorches, I ordered a magnetic torch. I'll see how it goes anyway. Thanks
Phil

Sadly, like every other torch I've ever had, the torch is a disappointment. The information supplied with it says working time 3-8 hours. I'm wondering if the person who wrote it was some kind of comedian.

Rog1

• Silver Star
  • M33 Plunger and teles.
    • View Profile
    • The North Bucks Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2022, 20:57:46 »
If that torch uses separate batteries and you used ones that came with the torch, they might be specials that don't have full capacity. If that's the case, try some you know are a good make.

I have a couple of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/ledlenser-led-head-torch-black-80lm/5584p

They last for ages before the three AAA cells have to be recharged, and have a simple on/off switch rather than like those stupid torches where you have to cycle through every mode; they just work.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 March, 2022, 21:19:07 »
Earlier this evening I got a cheap ( about £8) headtorch from Screwfix - I'll see how it goes. And thanks, Rog1, for the suggestion re batteries. If what you suggest is actually the case, it seems unfair on the buyer.