Author Topic: Bristol Show  (Read 534 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Bristol Show
« on: 27 February, 2022, 21:03:21 »
Enjoyed my trip to Shepton Mallett today. Lots of immaculate bikes on show. Regarding BSAs, the Gold Star people were there, and the Bantam Club, both of which had some gleaming machines on display. I didn't notice a great many other BSAs though. Not a single B40 did I see! Not sure the jumble was as good as usual (couldn't find the things i was after), but I've never been on a Sunday before - maybe it was better yesterday.  Today's weather being excellent for the time of year, there were lots of lovely machines to peruse outside as I left in the afternoon. All in all, a grand day out! Oh, and the "giant" pasty at lunchtime went down well! And spring begins this week! Life is good! :)

Phil

MGI

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol Show
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2022, 12:21:41 »
Given the name of the show I was surprised at how far from Bristol the show actually is. Having said that, it was an excellent day out assisted by the good weather. I was grateful that senior management prepaid as the queues to pay on the day (09:30 Sat) were horrific. I purchased a wide range of kit ranging from books to to stainless oil lines. The day did not end well really as I placed my 'phone on the roof of the motor whilst divesting myself of my coat & then drove off! I was heading North near J12 before I remembered! With age comes...I've forgotten!

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2022, 17:54:08 »
 Phil C   In my days Spring always started on the 21st of March..... Seems I was told the wrong details by my teacher....
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2022, 19:56:08 »
Haha, you might be right griffo. I confess I grew up in the Peak District and thought of spring as starting mid-March. But I think I've heard recently it officially begins on the 1st? Not sure really. Anyway, doesn't feel very springlike at the moment.  Phil

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2022, 20:34:02 »
Just googled it. According to the meteorological calendar it starts on the 1st. But astronomically it begins (this year) on the 20th.  Still learning after all these years.  Phil

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2022, 21:50:26 »
Hi,

Isn't the Astronomical one the equinox after which the days are longer than the nights whereas the Met. one if for convenience and divides the year equally between the seasons?

Dave.

BEEZABRYAN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2022, 09:31:22 »
Vernal Equinox, day & night of equal length, is March 20 this year.
The days then get longer, and so can bikes with doggy lights be riden later in the evening  :)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2022, 10:40:42 »
Hi,

Isn't the Astronomical one the equinox after which the days are longer than the nights whereas the Met. one if for convenience and divides the year equally between the seasons?

Dave.
I think you're right, Dave.  Phil

BEESY

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2022, 17:38:55 »
What I've never understood is why the clocks don't change equal distances from the winter solstice.

They go back end of October so there's basically the whole of November and 3 weeks of December until the shortest day, but we have to wait for 10 days in December plus the whole of January and February and about 3 weeks of March to put them forward.

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2022, 09:08:28 »
 How can us wrinkleys understand the world when most of us were at school the official first day of the week was Sunday but now , to please the Americans it is Monday...  Mind you the god botherers kept quiet as the biblical last day of the week is Saturday, to be known as the sabbath as the world was supposed to have started on the Sun day... I'm confused and think after reading all this confusing matter I'll go and lie down... Nurse. nurse, please take another cork out of the red !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Griff 
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 March, 2022, 10:11:23 »
Move over!

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2022, 17:55:12 »
As discussed, there's the meteorological calendar spring, which started 1 March, and the astronomical one, which is still a few days away. But I went for a ride on my (2011) Bonneville on Dartmoor today, and it actually felt like the first day of spring. Wonderful.    Phil