Author Topic: Wiring loom / harness  (Read 4713 times)

Singleton

Wiring loom / harness
« on: 09 February, 2017, 18:52:45 »
Hi
I bought a new wiring loom for a c15 which just does not seem to be right.
I ordered a loom with 12 volt spec so I could up grade from 6v to 12v.
can anyone recommend someone who can make a correct loom .

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring loom / harness
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2017, 22:07:51 »
I make my own these days. That way I get the runs I want, can modify if required and know it will fit. I get lengths of all the colour coded wires much longer than I need and route these one at at time around the bike t the various components that need connecting. I then just tape the wires at the critical points were they branch to give the harness shape and tape the points where the harness sleeve would end. I leave really long tails to give me some wriggle room and to allow for a few goes at getting the connectors attached. I then take it along to the wirng suppliers to get the harness covered.

I use Autosparks for cables and components and harness covering/sleeving  https://www.autosparks.co.uk/
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2017, 06:32:32 »
Try Al Osborne. www.aoservices.co.uk He'll make up the correct loom.

Mark

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2017, 18:23:25 »
Hello,

For someone that chooses to make their own loom & for modifying existing looms I use.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

I am fortunate they are quite close to me but they are really good & you can get all the parts to make your own looms.

Regards Mark

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2017, 10:48:18 »
Hi
I bought a new wiring loom for a c15 which just does not seem to be right.
I ordered a loom with 12 volt spec so I could up grade from 6v to 12v.
can anyone recommend someone who can make a correct loom .
In what way does the 12V loom not appear to be right? If you don't have a wiring diagram for the 12V conversion, it's probably best to start off by comparing the loom against the wiring diagram for a standard 6V system to determine what has been modified. The main mod is to add a Zener diode for 12V and to re-arrange the wiring from the alternator. However, there may be some other mods done involving the elimination of some of the wires used in the 6V system. I would mod the 6V wiring diagram to reflect your 12V loom at which point it should be possible to determine what is wrong, if anything.

Singleton

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2017, 20:46:53 »
It would Appear that I was sold the wrong wiring loom. hence why I could not make head nor tail of the wires.
Now forked out for a Lucas loom and wish I had done that originally and not bought a loom from a chap at Newark who assured me it was correct.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2017, 07:59:17 »
Can you provide a picture of the wrong wiring harness you've got so that we can try to identify what it's off. The harness needs to be laid out flat, fully extended to be able to do this. If we can identify what it's off then someone on the forum might want to buy it off you.