Author Topic: Dam Ethanol  (Read 440 times)

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Dam Ethanol
« on: 01 February, 2022, 16:42:27 »
Don't like mentioning the word but my local garage said they might stop selling E5 anybody had problems with E10 and is there an additive out yet to stop corrosive action. thanks Roy  >:(

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Dam Ethanol
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2022, 17:20:41 »
Hi,

I have been using E10 with no problems.  The only thing I may do is drain tanks and carbs if laid up bit with the mold weather I have still been getting out.

Dave.

redmelons

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2022, 21:20:56 »
I used Lucas Oil Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner in my Triumph Daytona 955 as ethanol caused the plastic petrol tank to bubble and swell. It's supposed to stabilise the ethanol to allow the use of E5 and E10 petrol.

For my BSA I'm only using ‘super’ petrol such as BP Ultimate as it is E5.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2022, 22:05:55 »
Hi,

If you do a search of the Forum you will find quite lengthy discussions about ethanol in petrol and especially E10.  There did not seem to be a conclusion so it is probably a matter of try it and make up your own mind.
Maybe I have been lucky but when lead was removed from petrol I just used unleaded and when E5 came I just put that in and the same with E10.  Occasionally a tank of Super Unleaded will go in the tank as the extra additives help to keep the carb and combustion chamber a bit cleaner.

Dave.

MGI

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2022, 09:17:04 »
I keep a jerry can of premium in the garage and actually find it handier than stopping for petrol on the bike as topping up can be carried out easier at home with the bike on the centre stand than on a forecourt particularly without having to remove helmet and gloves, unzipping bulky top garments etc to access cards or cash! I appreciate many riders can easily put their machines onto the centre stand but regrettably I am not one of them!

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2022, 14:55:58 »
Thank you for your replies and ideas I will wait and see what the garage will do,Roy