Author Topic: Number plate - obtain original?  (Read 653 times)

MGI

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Number plate - obtain original?
« on: 19 January, 2022, 12:39:29 »
I have owned a B31 for 5/6 years now and I have the original buff registration logbook, it was originally licensed in 1956 and the last entry appears to be 1973 all on the same owner residing at the same address, (Victoria Rd, Margate) Problem being that at some point subsequent to this the reg of the machine changed presumably at a point of sale and my bike now has the correct engine No and frame No as detailed in the original logbook but now referenced to a different reg No. Is there any way of the machine reverting to it's original number?

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Number plate - obtain original?
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2022, 13:20:40 »
Go to the BSAOC website and go to "Club Services" then "machine registration" and follow the link to "retention of registration marks".

https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/index.php

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2022, 14:33:06 »
What you are asking can be done. I have a 1956 A7 and I am the 11th owner but back in 1990 the then owner for some unknown reason changed registration number and had the buff log book cancelled and the new registration written on it with a official stamp which is dated 1988 why he did this when I believe at that time buff log books were discontinued, however  the MOT for that year has the new registration but the following year the MOT was done on the frame number. Now in 1994 a new owner had the registration changed back to the original number all subsequent MOT,s are with the orignal registration also the owner who changed the registration only did 295 miles from 1990 until 1994.  Previous owners of our bikes do some strange things for reasons that they only know.  I have the names and addresses of all previous owners plus the milages that they did  some photos  taken in 1988 which show te bike with the original registration and a couple of blurry mono photos taken by an owner in 1962 on camping weekend in Wales, I did consider trying to contact the owner who changed the registration to try to find out why he did it but it is so long ago that he may not live there  or may even have passed away.
« Last Edit: 19 January, 2022, 14:39:45 by bikerbob »

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2022, 21:17:31 »
probably a different scenario, I imported a Pontiac Firebird from Florida, DVLA issued me with a C reg no , correct for the year . I then purchased a USA **X number plate. when I sold the car, I could have kept the USA number and had the original C reg put back on.

Richard Mills

• Blue Star
  • B33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2022, 15:08:34 »
Probably a result of what I call 'The Great DVLA Swindle'.
Regardless of the reason, the very first thing to do (and it's quick, easy and free!) is to check that the original number which you wish to reclaim hasn't been assigned to another vehicle, because if it has then you might as well give up now. To check go to https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla.

Beesy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2022, 22:49:13 »
I expect that the original number was lost when all registrations were moved on to the central DVLA database. It happened sometimes in the early 80's.

If a vehicle was off the road at the time, it wasn't moved over and simply dropped off the records. Then at a later date someone put it back on the road and got a fresh number allocated.

It can be claimed, provided DVLA haven't used it already on another vehicle. It's all about proving that the original number plate was allocated to your machine.

rogereld

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2022, 12:27:09 »
Is your current number transferable and would it have any value if sold?  You would probably end up with a non transferable reg if you were able to re-claim the original.

Beesy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2022, 14:13:11 »
That's probably true. I got Mike Worthy Wotisname from OBM to recover my original one that had dropped off the system, it came back non transferable.

Richard Mills

• Blue Star
  • B33
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2022, 14:48:13 »
I reclaimed the original number for my Matchless G3 (and the re-assigned original number is non-transferable), but first of all I put the number it came with on a retention certificate (because I like it and didn't want to lose it) and later put it on a car.