Author Topic: Indicator  (Read 632 times)

spike123

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Indicator
« on: 13 January, 2022, 01:41:20 »
Hi fellas
I tried to post before but wouldn’t work so hopefully this does, my 1969 a65 I have put led indicators on it as well as a led relay but lights won’t flash they just stay on so has anyone got any ideas

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Indicator
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2022, 07:52:20 »
Hi Spike,

Assuming you bike is + earth, does the relay need to be wired differently?

Dave.

Greenfield

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2022, 08:09:07 »
First I would check that your circuit is correct, then is your warning light the correct value and thirdly do you have a faulty flasher unit? Also, do you have one of Paul Goff's tweakers fitted for the warning light? When I fitted led indicators to my A50 they didn't work at first because of a faulty flasher.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2022, 09:14:13 »
If you have a flasher unit designed for filament bulbs it most likely won't work on LEDs as the resistance is to low. I think you would need to fit some resistors in the circuit.

geraldhattrick75

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2022, 21:22:14 »
Yeah I had the same problem with mine, although the relay claimed to OK for LEDs it wasn't.... They just stayed on.

I bought one of these and it worked ok. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272345314231

Well, too be honest it didn't work at all when I first fitted it.... but that was 'cos i'd got the bulbs in the wrong way round..... Been great ever since. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372471177503

spike123

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2022, 01:24:55 »
Thanks for the input, I’ve bought a led relay and connected it the other way around and seems to work

geraldhattrick75

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2022, 09:55:27 »
Good news Spike.

Well done.

john sever

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2022, 04:53:36 »
Hi 
Can I jump in on this topic, please.  I have jut finished restoring a 1969 Lightning and thought indicators would be good in modern traffic.  As per
usual, the ignition is positive earth, however I have done a separate circuit for the lights which is negative earth so I can have small LED flashers.

The problem is the flashers work perfectly without the motor running, but very erratically when the motor is running. Voltage to the flasher unit is 13.4  with the motor off, and the same when the motor is running.  I am using a 3 pin flasher unit that is supposed to be ok for LEDs.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
John

« Last Edit: 11 May, 2022, 04:56:16 by john sever »

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2022, 18:10:27 »
Hi John,
            I had a similar issue, fine when engine wasn't running, one side seem to flash in time with the alternator when the engine was running. Even the manufacturer couldn't solve the issue, they couldn't find anything wrong with the flasher. They sent me a replacement which didn't work either, eventually sent me a different model flasher but I  completely changed the flasher arrangement, using one of these:

https://www.bikermart.co.uk/HIGHSIDER--PW~NANO-Digital-Motorcycle-Flasher-Relay-Load-Independent

Wired as per attached image and never had a problem since.

Best wishes...

john sever

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2022, 02:31:56 »
Thanks very much - I'll look into this.

John