Author Topic: My Old A10 whereabouts?  (Read 260 times)

KJJD

• Star
    • View Profile
My Old A10 whereabouts?
« on: 11 December, 2021, 17:19:28 »
Hi all, I am new to this site and club and hope you can help. I used to have BSA's back in early 1970s and would like to try and trace my old late 1950s A10. It was in cafe racer style when I owned it around 72/73. I sold it to a mate who moved from Essex to Wales around 74. Registration was 318 JPK and it would be good to know if it still exists. I have one photo which I have hopefully attached correctly. Please let me know if you have any knowledge of it?
Thanks for reading this and safe riding.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: My Old A10 whereabouts?
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2021, 19:22:36 »
a quick check on DVLA mot checker does not show any vehicle being taxed or mot'd since 2005.thats car or bike.
so, 2017 started the 40 year old exemption of MOT's for vehicles that had reached that time, before that there were historic exeptions for those registered prior to 1960.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria#:~:text=mot%2Dexemption%2Dcriteria-,Eligibility,being%20first%20registered%20before%201960.

So..
1 its been scrapped years ago prior to records going on line.
2 its sat in a museum or shed
3 its been permanently exported
4 it was stolen prior to online records and been broken up

there could be other reasons but these are the commonest.
the number hasnt been transferred and being used on a different machine which needs a current  MOT or V5 BUT the engine and frame numbers may have been used on another machine customised but due to older rules could well be on a Q plate.
maybe a letter (thats how its done) to the Owners club registrar may turn up engine and frame numbers which could then be posted.

UNLESS, someone here knows its sat in their shed waiting restoration and re applying for the number when it is ready for applying.

KJJD

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2021, 09:47:30 »
Thanks for the guidance and advice.  I have now found the old buff logbook which has engine and frame numbers as well as original date of registration. What would my  next step?

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2021, 18:49:35 »
i would try and trace your old essex mate. he probably has it leaning against an old landrover in a barn in wales.
years ago i mistakenly sold the registration number from a croydon police a10 that i regretted ever since. i tried to trace the current vehicle with the idea of buying back but that number disappeared and no longer registered.

Jhg1958

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2021, 20:36:32 »
Sorry my A10 is 332 KPT and it is 1961.

Best of luck in your hunt.

On the same tack.  If anyone knows any history of a GF 332 KPT I would love to hear from them. I have no history with the bike other than the suspicion it is a failed project.

A bit of a long shot but ...

John
Hope Valley John