Author Topic: Taps for oil feed line  (Read 1303 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Taps for oil feed line
« on: 11 November, 2021, 20:55:01 »
An old subject this, I know. Any recommendations please for taps to connect externally in the hose below the oil tank (to avoid wet-sumping) ?

I'm interested in people's experience with different kinds, including those with an electrical cut-out in case I forget to turn it on. Mine has always leaked slightly. Got a replacement - same problem. Tried to fix it, no success. Could just keep putting up with it but might replace it. Can't be bothered chasing the supplier about it. Could fit an external spring and ball type but I feel a bit nervous about them failing.
Phil

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Taps for oil feed line
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2021, 21:52:26 »
my problem, being an A10 bobber is, Im not prepared to strip the motor to re do the ball and spring, this leaves me with the tap question. Unfortunately, because of the build and oil line route, I dont have enough room to fit the BriTie valve or any type of shut off tap. with the B40 it has the screw in/out filter in the tank, I could fit a tap, the A10 has welded in oil way tubes so another no go.
my only answer is the drain plug on the sump plate.

I have heard people fit a tap and loop the ignition key keyring through the tap so you have to turn on when turning the ignition on.

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2021, 23:27:59 »
Something that prevents starting with tap closed is strongly recommended. If you have roller crank bearings you might get more than 10 miles riding before a slight piston seizing. And not much cam wear. On a Vincent anyhow. Plain bearings probably just a minute before bearing replacement needed.

Greenfield

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2021, 08:00:17 »
I've a B33, B40 and an A50 and all of them wet sumped. I fitted an anti wet sumping valve to all of them and end of story. They work and that's the end of worrying about oil taps or draining the sump before every outing. Job done.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2021, 09:33:57 »
Paul, when you say an anti wet sumping valve I assume you mean an external, in- line thing? You seem very happy with it. Can you tell me the make of it, or send me a link maybe?
Phil

AdrianS

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2021, 09:36:41 »
As said, you dont want to run the bike with a tap closed. The inline valves are generally very reliable and the very rare failure is probably due to very old oil and the bike standing for a long time allowing the valve to gum up a little. The problem with the internet is that the very few failures get blow out of proportion to make every one worried about them. Your choice though if you use one of these. A friend of mine has a Norton Commando which wet sumps slightly and he put an inline manual tap with a big yellow handle so it stands out. He keeps a clothes peg on it and when he turns the tap off he puts the peg  on his handlebars to remind him to turn the tap on.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2021, 09:57:00 »
Yes, I put a string between the choke lever and the oil tap,  with a home-made pennant on it. But of course it only takes one mistake.
Anyway, Paul, or anyone, if you could point me to an in- line valve you've used for some time and are very happy with, that would be much appreciated.
Phil

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2021, 12:29:41 »
Yes, I put a string between the choke lever and the oil tap,  with a home-made pennant on it. But of course it only takes one mistake.
Anyway, Paul, or anyone, if you could point me to an in- line valve you've used for some time and are very happy with, that would be much appreciated.
Phil

BriTie https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403288188961?hash=item5de5d96821:g:OnwAAOSwOAZZgb6v
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2021, 12:45:22 »
Thanks Dean. Can I fit one of these where my existing tap is, a couple of inches or so below the oil tank (on my 1965 B40F)?
Phil

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2021, 13:37:59 »
Actually I notice it doesn't include B40 in the list of bikes it's suitable for.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2021, 14:31:07 »
Hi Phil,

The one you looked is designed to screw directly in the crank so a B40/C15 or A65/A50 could not use it but there is a universal one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403292251864?hash=item5de61766d8:g:~eMAAMXQU6tQ~u0Y

Dave.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2021, 14:49:14 »
Thanks Dave. Does it work by suction? If so, can I fit it a couple of inches below the oil tank, or would that be too far away from the oil pump and so a bit risky?  Phil

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2021, 15:24:23 »
Hi,

I have never used one but the idea seems to be that it can be just fitted in the oil feed pipe.  I would think that the easiest place to put it would be roughly in the same place as you tap. There is not hat much room on a B40 to put it lower down and having easy access would be useful.

Dave. 

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 November, 2021, 15:26:59 »
I have used Polly's BriTie valves for many years on a few rebuilds. as my first post, Ive no room currently on the A10 but the A50 will be rebuilt so probaby wouldnt need it. Never had a problem, you never hear good reports only the bad ones. better than a tap as its in the system, you cant forget to turn it on.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 November, 2021, 15:48:46 »
Hi,

I know it involves and engine strip to get to it but is the non-return valve causing the problem?  This is labelled A on the oil diagram in the manual.

Dave.