Author Topic: Sunbeam 250cc chain drive  (Read 305 times)

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Sunbeam 250cc chain drive
« on: 26 February, 2023, 12:32:48 »
Hello there.
I have put ordinary oil in the chain case of the Sunbeam scooter and it leaked like a pig so, I was thinking about using liquid grease, has anyone tried this on one of these machines, it is good stuff I know, as I used it on another bike, on the primary drive chain.

Spaceman

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Sunbeam 250cc chain drive
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2023, 08:03:22 »
I would have thought the problem would be ensuring the grease got to the internal chain rollers to lubricate them. In the old days, I remember melting the tin of chain lube and dropping the chain in allow it to soak into the rollers - just applying the lube to the outside of the chain would never have worked. I'm not sure whether modern liquid grease would be thin enough to penetrate into a chain's rollers. However, once fully greased, a primary chain would probably be run for quite a long time before needing to be greased again.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2023, 11:40:10 »
Hi John,
 as its basically just an enclosed rear drive chain you could just lynkllife it and omit the oil from the chaincase.
There may be two consideratiomns though. Does the oil help keep the chain cool and does it lubricate anything elos in the final drive like and bearings/bushes?
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2023, 11:13:39 »
Well, liquid grease it is then. Thanks for your input lads.