Author Topic: Lining A10 rear brake drum  (Read 205 times)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Lining A10 rear brake drum
« on: 17 October, 2021, 13:12:49 »
I've had to resort to oversize linings for brake drums in the past but I am considering instead getting the rear drum on the A10 relined as its very worn.
Has anyone any experience of having thsi done or know someone who could do it?
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Lining A10 rear brake drum
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2021, 14:52:16 »
Are you referring to a brake in the rear hub like an Ariel hub or the Triumph style. If it is in the sprocked early style then it would be cheaper to replace. If it is the later ones 1956 on I would think the wheel would have to be stripped to enable the hub to be machined and an insert fitted.
« Last Edit: 17 October, 2021, 15:03:52 by idie »

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2021, 19:52:03 »
Are you referring to a brake in the rear hub like an Ariel hub or the Triumph style. If it is in the sprocked early style then it would be cheaper to replace. If it is the later ones 1956 on I would think the wheel would have to be stripped to enable the hub to be machined and an insert fitted.

Its the later one. It woild be a pain to have to strip it but I built it so nothing new to me.
The main thing is finding soemoe who knows what they are doing to do the job.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2021, 19:59:39 »
If you are having to strip the wheel find another hub, plenty of them around. The other option shim the pivot post and make up some shims for the shoes for the cam end, or take the easy option and do as you have done fit oversize linings.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2021, 12:33:44 »
Hi Idie thanks for your suggestions. I know and have used these options over the years but I was specifically interested in seeing of anyone had experience of drum re-lining.
I will be trying thicker shoe linings first of course. 

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2021, 12:50:05 »
Your A10 must have had some serious use to wear out the rear brake drum. I have had my B33 for over 50 years with the same rear drum. I hope it works out well for you.