Author Topic: A10 SRM oil pump  (Read 822 times)

fenderman!

• Star
    • View Profile
A10 SRM oil pump
« on: 13 October, 2021, 13:18:17 »
I recently purchased a SRM high delivery oil pump..I removed the prv as instructions and removed the spark plugs. As per instructions..I also made sure that the oil tank was clean and filled with fresh 20/50 non syn oil..I cannot seem to get any oil out the prv  hole to come out thus no prime..I put the old pump back on and can get prime...I'm afraid to start with the new pump as I dont want to damage engine..any ideas???

Dibble

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: A10 SRM oil pump
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2021, 19:44:01 »
Its probably not the answer you were hoping for but with so much at steak i would without hessitation ring SRM. Even the best can have an off day! Good luck. Dave

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2021, 19:58:25 »
 :) :) :)

On A65 SRM pump. I gave mine about 20 kicks every time I went near it. I reckon it took a couple of hundred kicks to get the oil flowing and returning to the tank and I force fed the inlet pipe from tank to engine. In truth it would have probably been ok just to start it and let the oil take its natural course.--dunno. It only takes a couple of seconds.

Mike  8) 8) 8) 8)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2021, 20:44:31 »
Probably an air lock in the feed side.

RESTORER

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2021, 20:42:28 »
Hi, Further to the others, in answer to my question on oil pump failure of 6/8/2019, Bess replied with...  "Disconnect the oil pipe connection at the engine, ensure oil flow, reconnect. Fit a tube to the oil tank breather, ensure the oil cap is in place, remove the pressure relief valve complete, blow down the tube to pressurise the oil tank and wait until you see oil dripping out, replace the PRV. Using the kickstart (with plugs removed) to turn the engine over will help.  Pour 1/4 pint of oil in the inlet rocker cover to prime the engine. When the engine starts and oil returns to the oil tank place your finger over the discharge in the tank for a short while to force oil to the rockers (you will find any leaks to the rockers as well)".   This may help you as it did me, but it is still well worth contacting SRM.  All the best.
Restorer.
1954 A10 Golden Flash, Swinging Arm

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2021, 09:27:55 »
 :) :) :) :)

I would bet in the factory they just started them up. Must confess I've done it more than once, tho not lately.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

tdc

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:47:11 »
Before starting up after any top end work I always squirt oil over the valves does no harm . I also remember SRM would overhaul your old oil pump don't know if they still do ?  R.