Author Topic: Headlight underslung pilot  (Read 367 times)

Greenfield

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Headlight underslung pilot
« on: 18 September, 2021, 16:40:19 »
I have a headlight with underslung pilot with no fittings for the pilot bulb. The lens is fixed with silicone and I can't work out what the pilot bulb holder looked like. I suspect that they're obsolete, but if anyone has a photo of one, I'm sure that I can cobble something together.
Cheers

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight underslung pilot
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2021, 18:19:28 »
Here's a couple of pics of mine.

Assuming that you have the glass, rubber seal and chromed frame then the frame containing the other bits screws into the bracket from the side.
The springs are my bodge and hook on to the 'spade terminal' in the shell but I think that the assembly is fairly new (despite the corrosion!) but I can't remember where I got it from.

If I can find the details I'll post back.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2021, 18:22:21 »
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Greenfield

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2021, 09:06:48 »
Thanks for that Bernie. The headlight is on my 1950 B33, but I think it might have come off a later model.
On close inspection there are traces of a rubber seal around the glass so I think it fits directly into the 'bubble' aperture without a chrome trim. From your pics and the Feked site I should be able to cobble something together.
Cheers

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2021, 09:22:08 »
Just found this in a Lucas manual - looks like the original fitting was different from the replacement I found.

'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Greenfield

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2021, 10:00:26 »
Yes that looks like the one. Looking through parts books in the members area it looks like a 057054 fitted to 'M' series bikes around '53. On ebay it looks like a lucas SS700P although not all of them have the underslung pilot, and they don't show the pilot assembly. So perhaps some are incorrectly labelled. Your pic looks as though the pilot bulb hangs downwards. The horizontal section must somehow fit into the slots either side of the 'bubble'. Someone out there must have one of these.
Just found 516597 on Drags which looks like the one in your lucas diagram.
« Last Edit: 19 September, 2021, 10:13:35 by Greenfield »

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2021, 14:21:35 »
Mine on my '53 B31 is just like the drawing from the manual above. It slides into the clips in the bowl, and the glass lens is held in from the inside by a spring wire pushing it up against the rubber seal.

Greenfield

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2021, 15:19:46 »
Further searching has come up with 516393 which is the clip holding the lens, which fits in the two holes on the back and presumably hooks onto the prong in the shell. The bulb holder looks easy to make. It slides forward into the locating lugs either side, but what stops it sliding rearwards and out under vibration?

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2021, 11:04:04 »
My Ariel NH has one that was the original fitting and the lens and rim are present but the bulb holder had gone awol. I plan to get a normal pilot bulb holder and hold it in there using epoxy resin or similar. I have to say, the one offered by Feked is a tad expensive or am I just a tight wad?

Chris