Author Topic: Is ‘NOS’ an abused and misleading notation.  (Read 353 times)

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Is ‘NOS’ an abused and misleading notation.
« on: 03 October, 2021, 08:22:53 »
Good morning,

‘NOS’ is a notation that is used quite widely when describing parts.  I take this to mean an original part that is unused and at least still partially wrapped in the original packaging.  Is this being misused to describe new pattern parts or even used genuine parts?

Dave.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Is ‘NOS’ an abused and misleading notation.
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2021, 09:37:22 »
 :) :) :) :)

Good point. I reckon that its often misused. A lot of it should be "New old pattern" and a lot should just say "New might fit".

Mike 8) 8) 8)

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2021, 09:41:00 »
generally, NOS steel parts will have a lacquerised grease coating, grease that has hardened, patchy and as you say possibly bits of paper on. there may also be signs of light rust  if not fully protected. this is hard to replicate .
I  would think the number of "old" bike shops is limited now so their stock will run out. Ive been to a few auctions of local bike shops where the "old stuff" is noticably missing from the stock on offer.
I would suggest NOS would nowadays be 1980's to 90's made parts.

With the Indian's making more and more parts now I suspect the term will appear more often.
I remember Fluff Brown, (FBAJS) went on holiday to America in the nineties, while there he managed to collect himself a container or two full of his old stock from American AJS dealers icluding complete bikes.

Guitarzanbikes

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2021, 11:29:16 »
Always stood for "New Old S***e" for me. With another Stafford show coming up this weekend there will be the same old NOS on the same old stalls as there always has been. Original or pattern, if it fits and works and more importantly keeps me on the road that's fine by me, snake oil salespeople will use what ever ruse it takes to part folk from their cash...
1972 A65 Lightning
1959 A10 Golden Flash/Watsonian Palma Combo
1968 B44 Victor Special
1968 Triumph TRW250 Trophy
1972 Triumph T150V Trident
1997 Triumph Sprint Sports