Author Topic: Identification of an old Motorcycle frame  (Read 359 times)

Otto77

• Star
    • View Profile
Identification of an old Motorcycle frame
« on: 09 October, 2021, 09:47:07 »
Dear BSA Owners,

I am a 44 years old guy from Germany.

Sorry for my English, I now it can be improved... but I write that by my self without any translation program - maybe I should use some one...

I am a little bit crazy in Motorcycles. In the tender age of 19 I bought a Kawasaki ZX6-R type 600G, I drove it all days until today - now there are 140.000 km on the Speedometer. In addtion to the Kawa I collected a few low cc classic motorcycles like DKW RT100, Express 98cc, Motobecane, some eastern Germany Simsons from the 1950 years.

I few years ago I bought in E-Bay a convolute of old parts. In that convolute was the sad rest of an Motorcycle. I could not identify the frame. I could identify the fork as an Brampton fork. The treads are in inch. therefore I think the frame is from GB. After view hunderts of pictures I think it could be an early BSA. Unfortunatly the frame is not complet it became a "modernization" from the old Stecktank to the new Satteltank. I donot know the english words, it means a fuel reservoir inside the frame like a bicycle and  fuel reservoir on top of the frame under the seat. Frame number is on the Seat pipe. Maybe you can match this number with the BSA numbers.

Please have a look on the pictures and write me an evaluation of that frame. What could it be?

p.s.: It was a hard work to registrat in that forum. I have no idea about BSA Motorcycles and wikipedia says that the BSA Trident has a 740 cc or 45 c inch Motor...

Otto77

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of an old Motorcycle frame
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2021, 19:18:09 »
41 views but no answer... I hope the reson for no answer is that noone knows the type and not that none understand my english. I am an engineer. In my studies in the first lesson in statistics the prof said "All aout statistics you have to know is: "common diseases are common and rare diseases are rare... in this sense, i think this is a rare frame.

Two years I opened a tread in the VFV Forum (German Classic Vintage Veteran Motorcycle Forum - in German we dont different in Classic, Vintage and Veteran - we say to all "Oldtimer"). Most people said British approximatly 350cc or less but unknow type, maybe a Bramthon frame. Other people said maybe Swiss Motosacoche ...

I also tried to find a answer in the VMCC but the VMCC Forum is not free and so I cannot open treads in VMCC Forum.

I add a few more pictures. I started to refurbish a few parts with new nickel surface. And I removed a few parts from the frame. But without the knowledge of the type that work is sense- and aimless.

If anyone has an idea, please feel free to answer.

Stubaker58

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2021, 21:37:58 »
Hi Otto,
Your English is very good, but the frame is a mystery to me at least!
I hope you soon find out what it is.
Kind Regards

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2021, 21:38:49 »
Hello Otto,

Welcome to the BSAOC Forum.  Please be patient. Your English is very good and I am sure there will be some help soon.
There are many people on the Forum and those who can help may not have looked yet.
There is always a curiosity about other peoples bike.  I have looked at your photos but unfortunately I cannot help.

Dave.

Y13 Alan G

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2021, 11:26:02 »
Hi Otto, I think your frame is possibly from a pre 1929 BSA Flat Tank motorcycle. However the top frame tube is severely bent out of shape. The combined fuel & oil tank fits between the top tube and the tube with the brackets on it which are for fixing the tank.
Unfortunately I am unable to say which model of 1920's BSA the frame belongs to.

Y13 Alan G

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2021, 11:34:11 »
Hi Otto, attached is a photo of a 1927 500cc side valve BSA that I restored a few years ago which may or may not help.