Author Topic: 1950 B31 rigid rear light wiring  (Read 184 times)

Rich Mackie

• Star
    • View Profile
1950 B31 rigid rear light wiring
« on: 15 September, 2021, 15:06:52 »
Hi, can anyone please give me some clues ? I have a new loom for my B31 to replace the homemade one that came with the bike.
The route for the 2 wires on the rear light is what i need, it looks to be an original rear mudguard which has no normal holes for the wiring to go though and no supports under the ridge inside to hold any loom off the wheel.
How did they run the wire in 1950 ? possibly only a tail light wire with no stop light ?
Any info would be most useful or pics please ?

Kindest Regards
Rich
Gloucestershire

Derek996

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: 1950 B31 rigid rear light wiring
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2021, 15:27:57 »
I have a rigid 1948 B32 but it has a non-original mudguard. The tail light wire is taken under the LH front edge of the mudguard and held supports all the way to the rear.

However I have obtained an original type mudguard for fitment over the winter and it has no cable support lugs under it. I believe that the original cable run was along the LH upper rear frame tube to the rear axle location then up the mudguard rear stay to the mudguard wire it would be very close to the rear lamp.
1948 B32 Competition
2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic
2017 Ducati Supersport 939

Rich Mackie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2021, 16:41:39 »
Thanks, The route you describe is how it came to me with the homemade loom so its possibly correct then.
Your replacement guard sounds the same as mine with nothing under the ridge to hold any loom in

Greenfield

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2021, 17:35:18 »
I have a 1950 B33 plunger with hinged rear mudguard. The tail light wires go through a hole in the mudguard under the saddle just behind the voltage regulator, and clipped along the underside of the ridge and re emerges behind the rear light. Snap connectors then join it to the light. Not quite like yours but I think that's how this model was wired initially.
I made up my own wiring so that I could add extra earth wires and not rely on the frame.