Author Topic: 441 vs kick start rubber  (Read 280 times)

mike1948

• Star
    • View Profile
441 vs kick start rubber
« on: 08 August, 2021, 08:08:40 »
I went on line to buy a k/s rubber for my Victor Special.  Trouble is, I don't know if it's open or closed end.  My workshop manual has no photos, only drawings.
Will someone help me out here?

Cheers, Mike.

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: 441 vs kick start rubber
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2021, 09:41:18 »
Sorry can't give a definite answer. The drawing in the parts book could be either. Looking at the most original VS I have. the kick start rubber is so worn at the end so that it is impossible to tell. But it has the text BSA. The other VS  has an open end, no text, so probably replaced at some time. Can't remember the looks on the one I bought new 51 years ago. But the rubber from Feked (fkrub11) is very similar to the probably original one I have. But on that one you have to make a 1/2" hole at the end.
Edit: On second try on a local shop found a 85mm long open ended, BSA marked one which could be the one to have.
« Last Edit: 09 August, 2021, 10:37:42 by Mike40M »

mike1948

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2021, 08:31:51 »
Yes it's very hard to tell.  My memory must be failing me too as it's only 53 years since I bought one, and the type of rubber escapes me.  I've looked at probably 100 images on Bing photos, probably half and half types.  I'll go with the closed end type.  Not a large expense if I find out otherwise.

Thanks, Mike.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2021, 10:31:38 »
Hi,

Not specifically an B44 issue but I find that the end on the closed end ones soon breaks off.  The open end ones are a bit better but can still work their way off if much enthusiastic kicking is needed.
I am not sure if this was ever a standard thing but I drill and tap a 3/16" or 1/4" hole in the end and use a washer and screw to keep the rubber on. 
A domed stainless allen type screw would look better but I have never got around to changing it.

Dave.

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2021, 18:17:36 »
When I swept the floor in the workshop today, I found the closed end of the rubber on the first VS mentioned before. Seems the same as the Feked one. But they are too short for a good fit. So I guess that it might be that a 85mm long open ended one is better. Anyhow I will try one as soon as I get one home.