Author Topic: Coupling Steib S500 to B33  (Read 3780 times)

dliva

• Star
    • View Profile
Coupling Steib S500 to B33
« on: 30 July, 2021, 14:11:00 »
Any experience to share coupling a steib S500 to a B33 (1953). 
Exemple of fittings from both sides are welcome.
Thks

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Coupling Steib S500 to B33
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2021, 16:12:24 »
I have only fitted a Steib to a 1955 B33 and that had a swinging arm frame.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2021, 11:33:04 »
Hi dliva,

I am not familiar specifically with a Steib but the principals are the same.  Some plunger frames utilise castings on the frame for side car fittings as well as substantial engine bolts.  M21 and A10 for example have integral fitting in the front just under the head stock and use the rear footrest mounts.
I think that your frame does not have these but probably the rear footrest mount is usable as well as the lower/front engine mount bolt and the frame bolt under the rear of the fuel tank.  Clamp type fittings can also be used.  Basically 4 points are used although a fifth one will stiffen things up if needed.  Do you have a photo of the Steib? 
If you google 'motorcycle sidecar fittings'  you will images of various setups and sidecar fittings.

Dave.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2021, 16:07:48 »
On a BSA frame the front one os usually a two piece casting with grooves in it to fit against the frame tightly. Bottom front the fitting screws in place of the nut and the arn to the sidecar bolts to it. There will be a clamp onto the frame somewhere high up under the nose of the seat. There will be one somewhere at the rear near to the plungers.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2021, 16:18:14 »
Having now looked at pictures of a A10 plunger frame. You have side car fittings at the front under the headstock and under the seat nose and holes near the the plungers. There are many clamps available for fitting to the frame. When I fitted my Steib to my B33 I didn't use any Steib fittings as I never had any. I last refitted my Steib to my B33 about 20 years ago.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2021, 20:40:15 »
This site has some useful info on fitting sidecars...

http://simplysidecars.co.uk/fittingguide.html
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910