Author Topic: metallic knocking sound  (Read 2171 times)

John Board

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: metallic knocking sound
« Reply #45 on: 11 August, 2021, 16:49:22 »
Hi Mo

Might be a bit late now but please dont use a centre punch on the bearing housing to retain the bearing, its a practice from way back before chemical adhesives , Loctite, were available.
With the correct grade of loctite it is possible to reclaim a bearing housing with as much as 0.010" clearance under certain circumstances.
Punching the cases with a centre punch will just cause further damage and is most unlikely to be effective.

Regarding the metal found in the engine there is no way I would be putting that engine back together until I had found out where it came from and how it escaped from where it should be.

Good luck with the rebuild. 

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 11 August, 2021, 22:32:22 »
Hi John.....yes I have put it back together and no I used the High strength Loctite an it has been fine and worked a treat, But thanks for the warning... as to where that metal bits came from hell knows as there is no way it came from anything in the bottom end.....unless who put the engine together had something drop in when the still had the barrels or head off.....as I am very clean around my work area when doing a rebuild so there will not be anything going in where it should Not be.

cheers Mo 

BETSY500

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 August, 2021, 13:23:08 »
Just seen this have you checked the shims between the drive side bearing and crankshaft as when these break up they leave slithers of steel in the bottom. :-[

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 August, 2021, 22:13:08 »
Hi Yes that was one of the first things I checked and the two that were there were all fine.... but a good thing to point out tho.

cheers Mo

BETSY500

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 20 August, 2021, 09:20:48 »
Seen it to many times in my A7SS. Like yours my bearing is a little loose on the crank and it would move ever so slightly,pinch and then tear the shims up.

WayneBergman

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 22 August, 2021, 03:28:17 »
As Jim has mentioned about the tank being a possible source I also have found this to be true. My B33 sounded like a clothes dryer running a full load of loose ball bearings BUT only when the bike was in motion and only in the higher revs. Turned out it was the Gas tank. The sleeve in the frame that contains the nut & bolt at the Gas TAnk ears was the culprit. I made a new tigher fitting sleeve and also improved the all the rubber mounting points so no way the tank can rattle. Just a thought but perhaps double check that there are no metal parts of the tank touching or close to touching the frame.
I mention this as you have stated the noise is at certain speeds, I am guessing if the noise is not heard when reving in neutral you may have a similar problem to mine and Jim's.....wayne