Author Topic: D14/4 two stroke oil?  (Read 178 times)

Y13 Alan G

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
D14/4 two stroke oil?
« on: 13 July, 2021, 16:24:08 »
Is better to use a mineral 2 stroke oil , ratio 40 to one, or a synthetic 2 stroke oil. Synthetic 2 stroke oils are not supposed to smoke as much as mineral oils. Any opinions?

AdrianS

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: D14/4 two stroke oil?
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2021, 20:49:23 »
40:1 is not what the handbook says for the D14. 25:1 is what it was originally run on. If I remember the 40:1 figure was if you used non mixing standard SAE 40 oil.
Rex Caunt told me to use the best quality 2 stroke oil - make your own mind up which make etc.
I run my Bantams on synthetic at about 30:1 and once warmed up get little smoke.
Smoking after starting is usually due to the oil settling out in the carb and tank so give the bike a bit of a shake before starting if been standing.

bluebell

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: D14/4 two stroke oil?
« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2021, 10:05:35 »
yep  use good  quality oil syn thetic,,,,,and and  the golden rule for all premix  two strokes,,,,upon returning to your abode from a ride,,, turn the fuel tap off  from about 250 yards to  100 yards from your garage /shed/house,,,so that the engine stops as you coast to your gate on any throttle setting,,,, so when you want to go out on the bike again  x amount of days later it will be so much easier to start due to minimal oil residue in the carb etc,,,,,cappiche?