Author Topic: Bantam recommendations please  (Read 735 times)

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Bantam recommendations please
« on: 13 July, 2021, 12:24:27 »
I recently sold a D7 that I bought a while back to carry on the back of my motorhome, the carrier is rated at 130kg max.
It was OK but a bit underpowered and I felt I needed another gear.

So, I bought a B40 SS90 to get some more power and I can just get this to < 130kg if I remove tank and seat every time we travel but it's a bit of a palaver.
It's also a struggle to keep my rear axle weight below the max limit with it on the rack.

So, I'm now thinking of going back to a later model bantam, definitely a 4-speed and preferably something that has more modern looks that the vanilla models.
Any recommendations please for models and or mods that might fit the bill?

Thanks,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Stubaker58

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Bantam recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2021, 13:13:00 »
Hi,

Have a look on the Bantam club website but long story short the B175 is your best bet for a useable bike.

The engine is a bit stronger than the D14 having lower compression and a centre plug head as standard. They also come with the heavyweight forks. A Bushman or Sport would also look the part, although even the standard B175 looks like a proper bike with its separate headlight and fork gaiters. The centre plug head also seems to fill the space under the tank rather better than the ‘normal’ head. It’s also pretty easy to save a few kilos by swapping out the ‘guards for alloy replacements.

AdrianS

« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2021, 20:43:56 »
I do like the Bushman models but they are very strong on the money.
B175 a lot harder to find than the D14.. Be careful if looking at a D14 - they are more powerful than the D7 but the engines are more temperamental. Test it well before buying. Having both a D7 and D14, I prefer the D7 for it’s laid back nature compared to the D14

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2021, 10:56:23 »
Many thanks for your replies.

I do rather  like the look of the bushman and a quick search confirms the prices being asked!
Theres no rush so I may just keep my eyes open in the hope of a bargain.
Were the bushman engines and gearboxes different from the basic road models? Wondering if they were set up for trials at the factory maybe?

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2021, 11:03:40 »
Hi,

I suspect that it would have been just front rim size, mudguards, rear sprocket and a few more cosmetic items as the Bushman/Pastoral was intended for rounding up sheep in Australia rather than a trials machine.

Dave.
« Last Edit: 14 July, 2021, 11:12:00 by DAVE BRADY »

Stubaker58

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2021, 13:11:28 »
The Bushman story is a little more complicated than is often thought.
First of all there were Bushman models and Pastoral (export) models with small differences.
It started with the D10 which had the four speed engine in the ‘short’ frame with 19” wheels front and back but kept the lightweight forks and the standard battery, two switch electrics. Gearing was standard
The D14 and B175 models had the heavier forks, different centre panels and, depending on export or home, energy transfer ignition, Vokes air cleaner and other detail differences.
Be warned, there are a lot of pretenders out there and even some of the genuine Bushman frames are not kitted out with all the correct fittings, which is fine so long as the vendor doesn’t expect to pass it off as “genuine” or “original” together with a stratospheric price!
If you do go for one do your homework with a parts book in hand!

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2021, 13:17:13 »
Thanks,
As a total aside, I once successfully rounded up six sheep that were running away from the farmer down a narrow Dorset lane.
Getting past them was the challenge, partly due to narrowness of lane and partly as I was running in my M21 at the time.
Did it though - and they may possibly still be the only things I've overtaken on that bike to this day   :D :D

Have sent you a PM

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project