Author Topic: Oil on club runs  (Read 739 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Oil on club runs
« on: 13 July, 2021, 09:49:35 »
Morning everyone,
There appears to be general agreement that most old bikes leak oil from somewhere, be that engine oil or oil from the gearbox or primary chaincase. So I was wondering: when bikes are out on club runs, covering, (I'm guessing here, as I've never done one) say, at least fifty and probably about a hundred miles, the oil levels could get a bit depleted. A drip drip leak could soon lower gearbox oil levels considerably, and maybe leave a primary chaincase dry. And there might still be half the mileage to do before the day's end. So do people take oil with them and top up during the trip? I guess they must, or not do the trip?   
Phil

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Oil on club runs
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2021, 09:59:24 »
Hi,

If your bike empties its gearbox or primary case of oil in less than 100 miles you have a major leak and not an annoying drip.  So if this is happening get it sorted.  More likely is engine oil consumption but again if you run worryingly low from the correct level over 100 miles there is a problem (unless a total loss system).  I would think that anyone going further or actually travelling will carry some engine oil and if necessary that could be used in a gearbox or primary but do not forget that there garages and motor parts shops and motorcycle shops everywhere and suitable lubricants can nearly always be found.  Even on Sundays and evenings larger supermarkets carry a reasonable selection of oils etc.

Dave.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2021, 12:32:18 »
and I am guessing Tesco's non-detergent straight 50 is pretty cheap ;)
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2021, 16:10:01 »
if its using that much oil to worry about I would have to fix the leaks.

When I had my 2 stroke AJS stormer and Can Am bombardier on the road, I had to carry a bottle of 2 stroke oil , didnt need a full size bottle so only enough for the one fill up needed and a spare measure for safety. As for gearbox oil or engine , which ever is leaking, a half litre should be enough.

personal choice, I use Silkolene or Castrol for older, Motul for modern, or one of my suppliers for smaller budget bikes. Supermarkets are good for cheap food and for comparison a own brand chicken korma is not as good as a take away one.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2021, 17:23:47 »
Dave is right, as long as you have remembered to check oil and top up if neccesary before the ride out you won't need to do so again unless you have a serious leak problem. Most of my BSAs are leaky, the Sloper is notorious for it, but three weeks ago I did over 100 ride on it without needing to top up.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2021, 06:29:11 »
Long time ago, when riding bikes with total loss systems, adding oil was done about every third petrol filling. If I remember correctly.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:20:30 »
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've never been involved with club runs, and there's no BSAOC branch near me, but I'm toying with the idea of joing the VMCC as well. Not that their nearest branch is very close either.
Phil

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:14:51 »
I am mid way between 3 different VMCC sections, and similarly between two BSAOC sections. I was out at a local VMCC 'machine night' on Tuesday evening - a nice relaxed gathering with some nice machines too (and lots of modern stuff).

It is the first meeting I have managed to attend since joining - most runs seem to be mid week which might well suit the retired populace of the VMCC but probably not great for attracting younger (employed) members. Next month the section will revert to the monthly pub meets. I enquired as to whether people still rode to them. "Oh no! Well I suppose you could if you wanted to..." which does make me question why own the things of you don't want to ride out on them on a sunny August evening  :-\

I still haven't made it to any BSAOC meetings or runs either yet but there's time yet I suppose - many events aren't running still as a hangover from the lockdown days of doom and gloom.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2021, 17:47:51 »
Hi Callum,

BSAOC Branches are well attended on bikes and some have attendance trophies for branch members.  Some do runs in the evening and weekends and there are the Branch Weekends that include camping and a run out.
There could be other BSA owners and even BSAOC members no too far from you and in the same position.  You could consider sending an invite through this Forum or through The Star to meet up at a local cafe or pub.  You never now you may get a good response.  As you are a younger member you may also attract younger people to BSA ownership - the Club needs them.

Dave.

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2021, 18:47:15 »
Hi Callum,

BSAOC Branches are well attended on bikes and some have attendance trophies for branch members.  Some do runs in the evening and weekends and there are the Branch Weekends that include camping and a run out.
There could be other BSA owners and even BSAOC members no too far from you and in the same position.  You could consider sending an invite through this Forum or through The Star to meet up at a local cafe or pub.  You never now you may get a good response.  As you are a younger member you may also attract younger people to BSA ownership - the Club needs them.

Dave.

Yes indeed, I am all too aware of people in clubs having a grumble but not willing to do anything themselves! If I want meets and runs on weekends I can organise some myself with the support of local sections I am sure, so it wasn't too much of a grumble more an observation.

My two local branches are W Yorks and Manchester but both branch meeting points are 30 miles away or more, which is a long way home when the meetings don't start till 8:30pm and I have to take my bike back to the workshop before driving home with work starting at 7:30am the next morning (currently waiting on planning permission to build my modest garage at home, and the living room is already occupied by my girlfriend's Ariel NH!)

To be honest I haven't looked too hard at local branch events recently as I have been quite busy so will take another look and make the effort!

Apologies for the thread hijack

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2021, 21:17:35 »
Hi Calum,

I had not interpreted anything as a grumble and I can see why getting to Branch night is not always convenient. 

Dave.

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July, 2021, 11:43:00 »
Am I being pedantic but I canít understand why oil consumption is only a problem on Club runs. After what I thought was a careful and meticulous rebuild, my A10 spews oil regularly wherever it is going. Even getting it from a front fork leg at the  moment. I know, I need to get off my a**e and fix them. Not difficult to carry a 1l bottle of oil strapped to the back seat.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 July, 2021, 15:00:23 »
Hi,

I think leaks and other annoying little problems occur on Club runs to embarrass the rider in front of the others.  On the other hand there are plenty of helpers on hand with advice and maybe some tools.

Dave.