Author Topic: A65 Rocket conversion to 12V  (Read 304 times)

Cmcl.1959

• Star
    • View Profile
A65 Rocket conversion to 12V
« on: 06 July, 2021, 08:05:24 »
Hi to all,
I'm new to the site and to BSA's. I previously had a 1972 OIF Triumph 650P which I bought from a dealer and was a bit of a disaster.
I had for about 4 years and had to do a lot of work to it to get it running and get it roadworthy. I sold it about three years ago and swore I wouldn't buy a bike again.
Anyway as all of you will know, once you have the bug....

So now I have a 1963 (65 reg.) 650 Rocket. I must say that the build quality compared to the Triumph seems much higher, quality of components etc.
I'm still getting used to the bike, but already have a list of things I want to do, a lot of which I did to the Triumph. Electronic ignition, indicators are high on the list.

Also I'm considering changing it to 12v as it's currently 6V. I've read articles on Paul Goff's site and it seems relatively easy, my only concern at the minute would be the original wiring loom. Will it be ok at 12V bearing in mind the age? Any advice gratefully received.

The bike takes a few kicks to get going and must be running rich as the plugs get sooty after a ride, not sure if I'll keep the choke. Didn't have one on the the Triumphs Concentric. The gearbox is ok but going down from 2nd to neutral or from 1st to neutral (must be one in there somewhere) makes stalling at the lights a usual occurrence. And those "oddie" side panel fixings! Twice I've had to keep a panel on with my leg. Didn't manage once and made a mess of the bonnie paintwork. I'll maybe change them for some screwed bar with dome nuts.

Like I say lots to do so I'll apologise now if I become a nuisance with lots of questions!

Regards
Clarke

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A65 Rocket conversion to 12V
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:21:11 »
Hi,

Welcome to BSA ownership and the Forum.   Lots of questions is what the Forum is all about so ask away.
Wiring will cope with 12v and this will give you great choice in bulbs and other accessories.
The rich running could be the carb settings/needs a clean, clogged filter, choke not rising completely so a general check of things should sort this out.  The gear box is notorious for this and usually it needs the clutch to be finely set up or you will get used to it and find neutral just before you stop.
The clips on the side panels are usually very reliable but need to be properly lined up to engage properly so perhaps they need replacing.
Good luck with it all.

Dave.

Dave.

Cmcl.1959

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: A65 Rocket conversion to 12V
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:59:51 »
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the welcome and the info.
Early days and lots to learn.

Clarke