Author Topic: BSA Plunger Column...there are none world wide.  (Read 821 times)

Barrieh

• Star
    • View Profile
BSA Plunger Column...there are none world wide.
« on: 10 April, 2020, 10:37:43 »
Hi,

Having now trawled the entire planet from USA, Australia, the UK etc I have come to one conclusion... there are no plunger columns

67-4134 or 89-4041

When I spoke to the shops they all said the same thing... its not worth our while. This leaves a small problem for anyone working on the Plunger Frame models where the rear units are missing.

What is even more worrying is the fact that to get anyone to make these up is even harder because none of the shops want to take on the burden.

Any ideas?

If anyone has a spare column floating around I would be most grateful as this will stop my rebuild process and I am keen to get another BSA out on the road!

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: BSA Plunger Column...there are none world wide.
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2020, 11:55:08 »
 :) :) :)

Draganfly are offering to put this item on back order.

Get me the full dimensions and probable metal grade and I'll ask my son if he is able to make some. (or I probably still know a man that can) Bear in mind none of the work shops are open.

You will appreciate that none of this would be cheap.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2020, 12:09:06 »
My wife's plunger 'Flash came with solid stainless columns and after considerable mileage there was enough wear for her to notice a deterioration in the handling (how did she know on a plunger??).  A local engineer made up new ones a with new oilite bushes they were as good as new or even better as the bushes an columns were machined to fit each other.  They are still perfect after more high mileage.  The thing to do is grease them very regularly even if it means some grease coming out of the shrouds during use.   

Dave.

Barrieh

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2020, 13:14:24 »
Mike, Dave,

I think we can all appreciate that with the reduction of skilled machinist as time moves forward this sort of issue will become more of an issue.

I keep telling my sons that they could build themselves quite a nice business if they started a parts creation service!

In terms of the metal specification for the plunger columns I am assuming it will be the same as front forks so a hardened metal.

Hamish

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2020, 14:21:03 »
having worked in engineering for 40+ years, we have changed from multi machines and multi operators , multi skilled, multi method we now use 6 cnc horizontal milling  machines,  2cnc lathes and 2 older vertical machine centres. we turn ut 7 million a year and do 15 components all with a staff of 30 including staff. when I started we had over a hundred machines, 700 operators and thousands of parts for railway brakes and other parts for steam and diesel now electric.
we could make a bike from stock, from welding and casting to plate and paint. one offs and multi batch were never a problem, Ive got a small Clarke lathe and it has an overhead drill fitted which allows a bit of milling and drilling. todays work . a 1/4BSP adaptor to tube as one option or a 1/8BSP fixing for my fuel tank problems... job sorted.
now have to bleed the brakes with the home  made fluid reservoir, change the battery and see if the A10 starts. Due to retire in  years time, if the company does move then I might acquire one of the older VMC's we have, then look for a cnc lathe and might start my own business to go along with the bike servicing and restoring I currently do.

meanwhile..
PES are good at machining, Mark may be interested if enough demand, Drags say if you order they will put on back order, but, Ive waited nearly a year for one part and ended up making myself. If you could come up with an order of 1000 they might be interested!!
as an example, we charge 60 an hour labour, our plating shop contractor charge 120 minimum charge so, the larger the order the cheaper individual cost

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2020, 14:29:12 »
-http://www.basmotor.se/eng/ram/stotd.html
have you had a look at 89-4046

https://burtonbikebits.net/rear_shocks/
http://www.classic-bike.dk/da/306-plunger

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2020, 16:39:08 »
 :) :) :)

A couple of times I have had a problem with ancient tractor parts. The cost, say, of having 4 made would be 100.00 the cost of having 40 made would be only about 200. So if you do have to have anything machined take a chance on a batch. Sell on and get your money back.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

GLENN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2020, 21:59:56 »

burtonbikebits

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July, 2021, 09:27:46 »
Hi Guys,
I know that this is an old post, but wanted to alert you that we have now had a batch of plungers made.

89-4041/46  See https://www.britishbikebits.com/plunger-carrier-column-assembly-bsa-a-b-m-plunger-models-1953-57

I hope that helps!