Author Topic: metallic knocking sound  (Read 2076 times)

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: metallic knocking sound
« Reply #30 on: 09 July, 2021, 07:43:51 »
Hi,

OK.  Can you post a photo of the one you are after as I may have a few spare.

Dave.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 July, 2021, 12:25:49 »
Hi dave

if you have got any that would be great thanks, also a picture where the pistons hit the flywheel..

Mo

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 July, 2021, 13:41:59 »
Hi Mo,

The pistons were just 'kissing' the crank.  I have some standard collets rather than the SR ones
I think the SR/RGS collets only come in one size and it could be a bit of distortion in the SRM image.  The one in you photo is the same as the ones I got from C and Ds.  Either way call them for clarification.

Dave.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 July, 2021, 21:09:14 »
well i forgot to give the size  :o

I have just gone and done that Now...sorry in metric  ;D

it is 11.77 long if that any help

Mo.

oh also now been said that my cases are a mess....well they have a had a lot of Heli coils put in and some badly..... I Know a bloke he has offered a set of cases for 150 but don`t know what to say to that as don`t know if that is a good price or Not  :'( 
« Last Edit: 09 July, 2021, 21:13:15 by mo goldie »

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 July, 2021, 22:17:51 »
Hi,

The 11.77mm looks about right for the ones I got from C and Ds.
As for the cases for 150, then it depends on how good they are.  If they are in good clean condition then that is not a bad price but if they are not much better than the ones you have then it may be best to sort the ones you have.
Have a really good look at them and compare them to yours.  Check all the threads and joint faces.  Look to see if bearings have been loose and/or rotating in the case.  If you are happy with them offer him a bit less.

Dave

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 July, 2021, 22:35:21 »
thanks Dave

he said they are really good ones with no threads Knackered and they have been blasted so I will check them out as for the Collets I will give them a ring to see what they say.

Mo.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 July, 2021, 07:31:10 »
Good morning,

If they are really good then it will probably be worth getting getting them but hang on to your original RGS cases.  At some point it will be worth getting them sorted out so that you can keep the original RGS engine number.

Dave.

ducati2242

• Royal Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 July, 2021, 07:44:39 »
If I were you I would find someone that can refurbish you original cases and rebuild it as original . you will spend a lot of money building up your engine with cases that are not your original cases . There will be people that can make them like new .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1968 mk1 Rocket 3
2006 ducati 999R .

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 July, 2021, 10:56:03 »
Hi Dave

it is a rep so not to worried about the Numbers but yes I will keep them....oh just got off the phone with Ian at C&D Autos lovely guy`s and got me collets on way Monday I did say about you put me on to them so he thanks you too.

I will keep you up to date with what I get done.

Thanks again

Mo.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 August, 2021, 21:26:29 »
Hello all.

Well an update on the rebuild or lack of it at the moment, I got them casing and they are really good but now comes a problem, I took my Crank Bush out of the old casings and put in the new ones I got put new shells on and cleaned the sludge out Not as if there was much in there after only 2,300 but done it as a matter of course, put the two half's together and one of the Big end bolts is hitting on the inside of the casing on the pump side can`t see why that is the left is fine any ides this build is being a bit of a nightmare  :-X

Cheers Mo       

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 August, 2021, 21:37:31 »
Hi Mo,

Did you replace the big end bolts and nuts?  It is always a good idea as they have been stressed when torqued and could fail if used again.  Some will argue that it is OK to reuse but I would not.

It is possible for a big end nut to touch the case if you rotate the crank and allow the rods to go too much from centre.  If you hold the small ends central to the cases as the pistons would hold them and you turn the crank does it still catch?

Dave.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 August, 2021, 22:26:22 »
Hi Dave

No I did Not replace them as I was told they would be ok to use again...But I like you dont want to be doing this job again so I have just ordered a new set of Bolts and Nut from D/F today.

also got told if I put the pistons on with the barrels then check to see .... as they might not hit as you say they are close anyway,

Mo

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 August, 2021, 07:19:07 »
Hi Mo,

Rather than fit the pistons and cylinders just hold the small ends central so that they in affect go up and down vertically as they would in the engine.  Nothing will touch unless there is a problem but as you are going to replace the big end bolts and nuts you will see exactly what has been touching.

Dave.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 August, 2021, 21:28:11 »
Hi  Dave

yes I also think might be the case that the bolts might have stretched some along the way as might have been used a few times but I am Not taken any chances as we said replace with new to be sure, so when they get here I will indeed retry everything before I fit it all back together.

Mo.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 August, 2021, 22:10:26 »
well we back

Good News the bolts and nut turned up yesterday and I put the bottom end back together and yes No hitting the cases so it must have been the bolts and Nut`s the problem so hope Now I can get on with the rest of the build.

Thanks all Mo