Author Topic: Fibre washers  (Read 465 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Fibre washers
« on: 14 June, 2021, 08:24:42 »
Thinking of buying a set of fibre washers, to save having to order in dribs and drabs every time I need one. Any recommendations please?

Also, are the fibre washers sold in the plumbing trade suitable for use with petrol etc?

Thanks in advance.   Phil

BEVANC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Fibre washers
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:38:40 »
I found that the fibre washers I bought from a plumbing shop here in N Z. were really hard and shiny. They did not seal well unless I sanded the shininess off them,  effectively roughing up the sealing surfaces up a bit. Cheers, Bevan.

Trev

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2021, 13:05:01 »
Personally I find fibre washers next to useless. For sealing purposes I always choose Dowty seals.

Greenfield

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2021, 16:10:16 »
Hi Phil
I agree with Trev. If there's space use a dowty, otherwise make sure the surfaces are clean and flat, take the shine off the fibre washer surface and possibly use a thin smear of grease on assembly.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2021, 11:07:01 »
 :) :) :)

Yep Dowty where pos

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2021, 12:53:54 »
Anybody know a good place to order small quantities of Dowry washers?  Phil

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2021, 14:51:10 »
in our rail brake systems,we use Dowty washers. but they are always on clean flat surfaces.
the problem is if the face is damaged or roughly machined also, the seal is only a small width against the fibre type.
one thing I dont like is I get a better feel tightening up fibre against steel , its the same with copper or aluminium washers which no one has mentioned. On modern Japanese (and world) bikes the norm is to fit aluminium washers with no leaking .
Ally, copper and dowty I tend to single use, fibre can be used again.
I was working on a modern Triumph Trophy, the drain plug has been partially stripped by a previous owner, Ive used a fibre washer and loctite pipe seal over the last 10 years with no problem, I get the feel i want and had no problems.

RS components or normal bearing suppliers are our first call. a bearing shop should be able to sell individual washers.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2021, 18:51:04 »
Used a Dowty washer (on to a reasonable surface, Chaz) - dry as a bone. Thanks everyone.  Phil