Author Topic: Dandy help  (Read 4333 times)

smith55

• Star
    • View Profile
Dandy help
« on: 31 July, 2017, 19:26:30 »
Hi
new to the forum and new owner of a bsa dandy
The bike has been stored since 1967 and only now seen light of day,
i have the original buff log book which says, date original registration 11 Dec 1956
the frame number is DS 713 and engine number is DSE 1100 , i cant find the frame number on the bike,the only thing i have seen is on the head stock is a stamped DS but no other numbers ,will there be another place for this ?
i thought that the dandy wasn't sold till 1957 so does this mean that this a very early model ?
any help would be great thanks as cant find to much on the net about this .
thanks in advance

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Dandy help
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2017, 20:15:01 »
The first Dandys left the factory in October 1956, although the plan was for an earlier launch.

Yours is an early one, with Wipac electrics.

There were a lot of problems with the Dandy. Around 1000 of the first made were recalled to supplying dealers, and those which made it back to the dealer had their frames changed. I dont know what the problem was, but there is a book in the factory despatch records which lists those which were changed. It is a possibility that your Dandy had the frame changed and that the dealer failed to stamp it, or it could be just covered with paint.

There were around 14 factory to dealer service sheets issued over the next 3 or 4 years detailing changes and modifications to the machine.   

I have attached one such service sheet to give you the flavour, also attached is the front page of the Dandy brochure issued around the time yours was sold, and a page from 1956 owners manual.

The BSAOC magazine, The Star, June and July 2016, has interesting Dandy articles written by Dr Arthur Dawkins. They are well worth reading.

Also see Dandy post earlier this year.
« Last Edit: 31 July, 2017, 20:21:54 by JulianS »

smith55

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2017, 20:51:00 »
Many thanks for your reply.
it does make sense that the dealer didn't re stamp the frame.
 i did remove some of the paint and nothing there.
 Does any one still have the factory despatch records ? as i would like to get it back on the road but without frame number it might be hard ?

thanks once again

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2017, 20:57:22 »
You can apply for a dating certificate and find details of applying to retain the registration on the BSAOC website;

http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/machine.html

The BSAOC has copies of the despatch books.

dandy4me

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2017, 13:36:33 »
Hi
Get in touch with me by Email from the CLUB Mag detail`s .
REX WEBB
Mr  Dandy  man