Author Topic: Nightmare.......almost!  (Read 1132 times)

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
Nightmare.......almost!
« on: 08 May, 2021, 15:46:15 »
HI All
Now the coronavirus pandemic seems to be under control in the UK, work seemed to be progressing quite well on my Victor special engine.  The cases have been repaired and reconditioned (Stephen Smethurst) and are ready to go.

Of particular note was the repair to the primary drive cover, it was very badly damaged.

(Note the hole in the case at 7 o'clock bogged up with some sort of epoxy metal)

However the restorer sent the crank to Alpha in Dudley for reconditioning and the courier (Hermes) lost it.  He hassled and hassled them until 3 weeks later an Hermes staff member seached through a pile (!) of undelivered parcels and found it in a very damaged box with no label.

Phew!!

Rog1

• Silver Star
  • M33 Plunger and teles.
    • View Profile
    • The North Bucks Wanderer
Re: Nightmare.......almost!
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2021, 11:02:20 »
I remember there was something in The Star about a frame (possibly for a B31) that got lost while it was in the hands of the couriers. That was a couple of years ago, but I don't know if it ever turned up.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2021, 11:20:40 »
 :) :) :)

I sent my Sloper head to T&L Engineering via Hermes. Guess what--yep they lost it. Swore blind that they had delivered; the guys at T&L tore their hair out trying to find it.

So I opened a case with Hermes, well well well found in the undelivered section at Milton Keynes. Still properly wrapped and addressed. I now find that the Post Office is almost as cheap and I think far more reliable.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

courtney

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2021, 11:35:08 »
Never use Hermes. I bought a Dayton road bike frame that got lost and almost lost a battery too. You're lucky there was someone that could be bothered to look through it all to find it.

The repair looks great and they've cleaned up well.
1965 BSA C15
1970 BSA B25 (US spec.)
2004 Aprilia Tuono

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2021, 12:20:01 »
Yes the fella in Rotherham who is restoring the engine was having conniptions!  And I gather that was mainly frustration at getting someone from Hermes to deal with the problem (they're cheap for a reason!) 

T'other problem with couriers is that the insurance is very expensive.  The crank was sent with £200 max insurance, and I guess it would have been difficult to get a second hand crank and rod for that.  The cost of full insurance was greater than the cost of driving it there yourself, which of course we shouldn't do in a global pandemic.

The primary cover on the 1969-70 Victor Special is specific to 69-70 models (inspection covers, drain holes etc. in a slightly different place.)  It had a massive hole in it that had been bogged up with some epoxy metal gloop (which actually didn't leak) presumably the escape route for a broken primary drive chain (or maybe it had actually been used off road and had hit a rock!)  It also had many other battle scars (one from the bent brake pedal.)  I just couldn't find another cover anywhere, so it was TIG welded up by a bloke in Rotherham who is so good he can weld wood!  He dressed it up and it really looks almost new.  I'm very pleased, even though it cost a bit to get sorted. 

Stephen Smethurst is one of those guys that can do magic with battered cases.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2021, 17:46:15 »
I have had no end of problems with Hermes who say they have delivered when they haven't usually they leave it at someone else's house. I have been lucky as the people have tracked me down and delivered it to me. 

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2021, 18:47:10 »
Hermes are hopeless. I hope I never have to deal with them ever again!

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2021, 21:08:40 »
Hi,

Interesting about Hermes.  I used them quite a lot last year sending parts all over the place and even abroad.  We use them for sending birthday and Christmas presents.  Probably over 25 times.  Only one parcel was a bit slow and that was going to Sweden.

Dave.

nickdun

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2021, 11:57:37 »
Perhaps the worst thing about Hermes (and lots of other couriers) is that their business model puts delivery staff in a position of having to work very hard to make minimum wage.  Their self employed status means they don't enjoy the safety net of holiday and sick pay (or a decent pension,) so inevitably corners are cut. 

Perhaps we should dwell on that when we click the free/cheap delivery button?  I have been very lucky.

MGI

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2021, 07:19:09 »
In fairness to Hermes, who appear to very unpopular with many members as well as generally, I have used them on quite a few occasions because of their competitive rates and have never experienced problems. With the current increasing trend of internet trading various couriers are increasingly to be seen & inevitably there is a proliferation of horror stories. It is natural to complain vociferously when things go wrong but when things go right it is rare that comment is raised. It would be interesting to learn as to the proportion of complaints in relation to the overall balance of trading. In some cases, it is not the courier who is at fault, I refer to wrongly addressed items, items  that are weight dependant being incorrectly described, items with flimsy/insufficient packaging etc. One aspect of current practice that has not raised concerns is the increasing trend of leaving parcels on front doorsteps, usually (in my case) clearly visible from the road with little or no attempt to actually deliver personally. As is often the case nowadays, Covid is the excuse/reason that this practice has become the norm - the procedure appears to be , ring the bell, dump said parcel on step & retire smartly, these actions to be carried out in quick succession regardless of whether there is a customer response or not! It is a "get out of jail free" card to the driver as there are no time consuming chores to be carried out such as contacting next door in an attempt to leave the consignment safe and then writing a card and inserting it back at the original port of call etc. This burgeoning practice obviously has a favourable impact on the number of parcels delivered in the working day and hence the related earnings.Two days ago I arrived back at base and found a £200 item parked outside the front door, amazingly intact! Earlier the same week I left my pressure washer adjacent to the front door whilst answering a call of nature and found it missing when I returned to the fray! Yes, the £200 item was the replacement pressure washer! The difference being, amazingly, the parcel had stood there in magnificent isolation for about 4 hours unlike its predecessor which had gone in minutes.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2021, 07:38:31 »
Hi,

If an item is of any value get it signed for.  With Hermes this means a photograph of the item in the threshold of the front door. I have never had my feet photographed so much.  Also, sent to be signed for parcels are photographed and the picture is sent to you as verification.  Some other couriers do knock and retreat but we have never had a parcel left without seeing the courier.  When we send parcels we always give the tracking number to the recipient so that they can follow its progress and change delivery details if necessary.   

Dave.

MGI

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2021, 11:18:20 »
You obviously don't use Amazon very much - trust me, it's drop & flee!

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2021, 12:56:12 »
Hi MGI,

Yes. Amazon deliveries are bit like that but we have never had anything left on the step when not in.  More of a 'see the door opening and flee'.

Dave.

courtney

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2021, 19:22:57 »
Hi,

If an item is of any value get it signed for.  With Hermes this means a photograph of the item in the threshold of the front door. I have never had my feet photographed so much.  Also, sent to be signed for parcels are photographed and the picture is sent to you as verification.  Some other couriers do knock and retreat but we have never had a parcel left without seeing the courier.  When we send parcels we always give the tracking number to the recipient so that they can follow its progress and change delivery details if necessary.   

Dave.

I got sent a picture of my parcel outside the gate (my house is right on the path next to a fairly busy road) while I was at work. I had to stay at work worrying that someone had nicked it for the rest of the day.

At the other end of it, I had something sent by Hermes from Holland that arrived within a day or two. They're inconsistent to be kind.

Yodel aren't so bad and cost the same or very slightly more.

To stay on topic, the cases look great! Looking forward to seeing it progress.
1965 BSA C15
1970 BSA B25 (US spec.)
2004 Aprilia Tuono