Author Topic: electric out put seems High  (Read 1324 times)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: electric out put seems High
« Reply #15 on: 04 May, 2021, 15:43:10 »
Below the JG fitting and testing instructions.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 May, 2021, 22:26:37 »
are ok well the new DVR2 is now on it`s way...........

so do you know how and what the changes are to be done exactly as I took the bike on Not knowing any of the changes let alone the the parts use like the JG unit you have said is fitted to the bike, so I have NOT got a clue as how to put the new DVR2 on...as I don`t want to blow anything like the new unit or the Dynamo Etc......

so anything that you can tell me what to do would be great
 ?

Cheers Mo

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 May, 2021, 18:07:44 »
Hi Julians

well the DVR2 came today what you suggested thank you , so I have taken the end cap off the Dynamo and this is what I have got, and you said that you think that there was something that they changed to use the JG regulator, so if you look at the pictures is there anything that need to be changed as the yellow and the Green on the DVR2 is ok and connected them under the seat to the new DVR2 unit but I just need to Know do I have to change anything or wires in the Dynamo or leave as is ? 

Cheers Mo

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 May, 2021, 20:01:46 »
At the moment your dynamo is wired for the JG, with one end of the field coil connected to the F terminal and the other end connected to the D terminal.

You need to remove the field coil connection from D and connect it to earth. So the connections look like the diagram on the DVR2 instructions.

You might want check it is correctly polarised to make sure it is charging the right way. This is a good source of dynamo information;

https://www.matchlessclueless.com/

I would renew the yellow and green output cables, looks like some damage?

Photo shows my A10 dynamo connections.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 May, 2021, 23:53:55 »
Thanks

I am not affray with all the Dynamo wires as to me there seems to be a lot going on in there, so can you put it in layman's terms
for me  :P which of them wires on mine do I need to do something with as yours seem different to mine.....I don't want to get it wrong if you know what I mean.

and yes I can see what you mean about the green and yellow wires  :'(   

sorry if I seem to be a bit lame on this but I have not had anything to do with Dynamo's Before  :-*
« Last Edit: 07 May, 2021, 23:56:55 by mo goldie »

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2021, 10:27:00 »
It is best to remove the dynamo from the bike  because there is just not enough space to change the field coil connection with it in place. With the dynamo off you will also be able to clean the commutator which looks a bit black. It will also make it easier to see what is going on with the connections.

So if it was my bike I would disconnect the output green and yellow cables and remove the dynamo from the bike. Having done that I would remove the 2 brushes, clean them off with a cloth and WD40 and clean the commutator and put the brushes back.

The field coil leads are the 2 which come from inside the body. Remove the one connected to D and connect it to earth using the same earthing point as the brush.

A good way to check the polarisation is to motor the dynamo. If checking mine I mount it carefully in a vice with soft jaws. Bridge the D and F  and connect the battery negative to the link (presuming positive earth on you bike) Connect a wire to battery positive and touch the end to the dynamo body. Just for a few seconds. If correctly polarised it will motor anticlockwise viewed from the drive sprocket end. If it motors the wrong way swap the field coil connections and try it again.

When done just refit and connect to the DVR2 as the instructions.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2021, 10:30:58 »
I can understand what you are saying, but will he. It's difficult to explain the working of a dynamo to some one who hasn't played with one before.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 May, 2021, 10:52:50 »
Hi Mo goldie,

Where about do you live?  There could be a BSAOC Branch not too far away.  If you are a BSAOC Member the details are in The Star.  As most Branches are getting back to having meetings you will probably find that there is someone who will help you. 

Dave.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 May, 2021, 18:41:30 »
Thanks Julian

I was not wanting to take the cover off again to take the Dynamo off but so be it I will have to do just that  :o
but I now understand what you mean so that I will do when I get a new gasket at some point  :'( Must be about the 5th time I have,

Hi Dave yes I am a Member but there is No one around near me as Ipswich is No mans land for BSAOC members  :P
But I will get it sorted out thanks all for your help.

Mo

Kevin1963

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2021, 21:01:43 »
If I may jump on this thread???

I have one of these JG regulators fitted to my bike? 1954 golden flash

Put anew battery on in the week as old one won’t hold a charge, perfect until had to use lights one evening(about an hour ride) lights working perfect got home battery dead?!

Checked voltage at battery 8 to 9 volts ? No current draw through battery even with lights on? (Engine running separate voltage and amp meters)
Put old battery on and showing discharge at tick over with lights on and when revs taken up going to about 1/2 amp. (Same with lights off), so assuming either new battery just died or regulator cooked it.

New battery will now not charge!

Dead battery or regulator any thoughts.?

Lights work fine without battery connected (obviously with engine running)
Kev
« Last Edit: 09 May, 2021, 21:06:03 by Kevin1963 »

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 May, 2021, 21:44:45 »
If the regulator had cooked the battery it would have blown all the bulbs a 6 volt dynamo working as 12 volt will easily push out 20 volts the battery would swell and smell of bad eggs. If your new battery had been banged in the past it can easily lose a connection on one of the bridging bars this will give a open circuit and no output

Kevin1963

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 May, 2021, 22:54:08 »
Thanks Idie.
Took battery back they are checking hopefully replacement on its way?

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 May, 2021, 17:39:27 »
Hi all

well here is an update of what I have done and the first thing to say is it is Not charging,

I have done to the letter what Julian said, first of I did take the Dynamo right off the bike
then I striped down all the parts on the board to clean everything up then I changed all the wires as per
told and ended up running the Dynamo as a motor and it worked fine other that it was going clockwise
so reversed the field wires and the run it up again and all good as it was then going anti clockwise,
so after that all back together and I checked the wires the green to F and the yellow to D..... connected
the wires up at the DVR2 end as per their instructions so already to go started bike up and amp gauge
did not shown anything so put all the lights on and it went to the – side and when revved it did not go up
so put a meter on that battery and the Voltage was a constant 12.6 Volts.
so I took the cap of the Dynamo and checked the wiring again all ok so put a meter on the D and F and run bike
up it was giving out 10 volts as soon as I revved it to no more that 2,000 rev`s it went to 20 volts.....so al I can say
is that is where I and up to...where do I go from here......or is it the New DVR2 or something else ?

Cheers Mo     

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 May, 2021, 18:05:47 »
Check that the regulator wires are properly connected. I fitted a new regulator on my A10 and the first times I connect it it just blew the fuse. Checking the wiring diagram supplied with the regulator I realised that the green and yellow wires were back to front. I then connected it up use basic electrical logic and the bike's wiring diagram. This involved connecting the green wire from the regulator to the yellow wire on the bike wiring and vice versa. This should have resulted in a burnt out regulator but instead all the electrics settled down and all is now running well. The regulator must have been incorrectly wired at the factory - by the way the regulator I bought was the correct polarity- allegedly.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 May, 2021, 18:09:25 »
Is you have 20 volts from the dynamo then there is nothing wrong with it. Have you re polarized it. With the dynamo on the bike flash the field wire to the live on the battery, this will re polarize it.