Author Topic: electric out put seems High  (Read 1277 times)

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
electric out put seems High
« on: 28 April, 2021, 00:08:17 »
Hi

went out today for a ride on my RGS rep and around to and county roads it was fine
but when I was on the main dual carriage way the AMP gauge was as far over to the plus
side as it would go, soon as I come off to the county roads it drops done again, it is fitted
with an elec box but how do I find out how to check that its all ok as I dont want to cook
over my battery .....but as I say looking at that AMP gauge as far over + as it can go do worry
me a Bit, Any idea's.

Cheers Mo

oh round the cuunrty roads was about 50 mph and the open road was about 75 to 75 mph     

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: electric out put seems High
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:25:05 »
It will drop as the speed goes down as the dynamo is putting less out. If you are running with the chain drive and are on 12 volt it won't fully charge until the revs go up quite high. Is the battery good? If there is low resistance in the battery the regulator will think it's flat and will increase the charge rate. Of course worse case the regulator is faulty.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2021, 10:00:49 »
Could be poor connections in the charging circuit.

geraldhattrick75

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2021, 10:26:18 »
Could you temporarily fit a voltmeter to the battery, to see what voltage is appearing there at high revs?

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2021, 22:38:27 »
Hi Guy`s

I have checked the connections and all seem fine but I will have to check out with a volt meter on the battery to make sure it is Not getting to high a currant going in to it.....also I replaced the dynamo chain with a belt drive and it has the 12 volt charging system on with the electronic Reg box so I will check them all out over the next week or so....Thanks for the heads up

Mo

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2021, 10:14:54 »
Hi,
     The dynamo belt drive conversion can have 10% or 20% ratio gain depending on which system you have.

Rather than a voltmeter a small clip on ammeter would be a good investment for current fault finding and to check your meters calibration.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324344560455?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338792760&toolid=10001&customid=Cj0KCQjw-LOEBhDCARIsABrC0Tk1zQCmx3htBrsPnigppx4Nd-0bwOW6AmG1Lvw0MHPIoUC5i4C9-DcaAgJ4EALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-LOEBhDCARIsABrC0Tk1zQCmx3htBrsPnigppx4Nd-0bwOW6AmG1Lvw0MHPIoUC5i4C9-DcaAgJ4EALw_wcB

Best wishes...
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2021, 10:16:38 by Bess »

Jim S

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2021, 12:41:38 »
I had an electronic regulator last year that stopped regulating, causing the dynamo to put out full power regardless of the battery charge. This condition fried the dynamo armature before I could determine what was happening.

Check if the dynamo is getting very hot. If yes, check the regulator. On my 6v system I applied 7+ volts to the power side of the regulator and then measured the output to the field coil. It was still giving full power (7+volts) to the field coil, therefore not regulating.

Jim

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2021, 22:20:50 »
thanks everyone

Now what is the best BSA A10 12 v Positive earth electronic voltage regulator to use just in case I need to get one ?

and where is the best place to get one from Please  ;D

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2021, 23:17:48 »
My opinion the DVR2 is the best.

https://dynamoregulators.com/dvr2.php

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2021, 00:28:26 »
Thanks Julian

I dont even know what one is one there but I will be checking that out

Cheers Mo

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2021, 09:39:40 »
If you are going to buy a new regulator you might as well change to negative earth. You can then avail yourself of a better selection of LED bulbs if you want to give the dynamo an easier time.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2021, 22:38:48 »
Hi idie

thanks but I have already fitted LED Bulbs and work fine

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2021, 14:19:27 »
Hi all

I have taken Julians advice and went for the one he suggested.
if I get the picture to load you will see that this one whats on my bike has No name
or any kind of makings on it and when I took the cover off it is just filled with Black gunk
so can`t even get to the components anyway ...... 

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 May, 2021, 15:06:08 »
Hi,

It looks like a JG 12v regulator from the '70s.  State of the art at the time.  I do not know if the maker is still about or how to test it.

Dave.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 May, 2021, 15:36:54 »
Yes a JG unit. still supplied by Dave Lindsley;

http://www.davelindsley.co.uk/

I used one on my A10 for many years. Last year the charge rate went up quite significantly, obviously on the blink, so I changed to the DVR2.

The JG required some connections to be changed at the dynamo end so if replaced with a different unit you would need to ensure the connections are correct for it.