Author Topic: A65 not starting part 2 - Wassell Ignition Timing  (Read 298 times)

stuartorchard

• Star
    • View Profile
A65 not starting part 2 - Wassell Ignition Timing
« on: 24 April, 2021, 11:27:36 »
Folks,
I started a thread re. this a week ago and had some useful feedback. I am convinced the issue is timing.
I get a real kick back through the kick start. Static timing is obviously a bit vague (early A65 so no TDC key) but I have played around advancing/retarding a little but still get the kick back.

I have a Wassell electronic unit so advance/retard is simply a case of slightly rotating the stator plate but can someone please confirm - if I rotate the plate clockwise, am I advancing the timing?

The magnetic rotor rotates anti clock so my logic tells me that if I move the stator plate clockwise it will spark earlier in the cycle.   

This is really driving me to the brink so as always all feedback/advice gratefully received!

cheers,

Stuart     

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A65 not starting part 2 - Wassell Ignition Timing
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2021, 12:54:08 »
 :) :) :)

I don't wish to be smart donkey about this but its what I would do

Just re read this and you seem to be having a rare old time with it. Yes to your question I've always understood that clockwise advances.

May I suggest you start again and do a basic setting on the system. Normal thing minus .309" on the up stroke. then set the pickup plate to the correct position. Recheck that you have all the ignition wires in the right place. battery fully charged. re check the tappets, spray some juice into the carb and start it.

I recall once asking someone to set the BTDC and he turned the engine the wrong way. My fault I told him to turn it clockwise but he did so on the primary drive side so we were lots of degrees adrift.

You can make the odd comment like "start you bitch" or whatever your chosen words are.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

All the very best

stuartorchard

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2021, 14:54:30 »
thanks Mike, I have certainly tried a vast number of expletive combinations - to no avail.

The thing is it did start, so I don't believe there is a fundamental issue. I will retard the ignition further and see what happens - thanks for confirming my thinking re. direction.

BEESY

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2021, 08:33:45 »
My Dad taught me a little mantra re adjusting timing.

Moving against rotation will advance. Moving with rotation will retard.