Author Topic: B31 'snatching' in gear  (Read 1095 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Calum

  • Royal Star
  • ***
  • Posts: 121
    • View Profile
Re: B31 'snatching' in gear
« Reply #15 on: 02 June, 2021, 22:51:13 »
Did around 40 miles on the bike this evening. Very happy with the gearbox, feels great. I think I've got the selector lever one spline too high compared to before but easily sorted.
I did notice the clutch slipping, quite badly at times so I really need to tighten that up. Is there any rule of thumb for how much to do it? What I should have done was measure how much thread was showing beyond the locknuts on the 6 springs before I took it apart as that would get me in the right ball park as it was fine before... hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I suppose I can kick it over against compression and feel for the bite point moving as I tighten the springs up.

idie

  • Golden Flash
  • *****
  • Posts: 773
    • View Profile
Re: B31 'snatching' in gear
« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2021, 11:34:41 »
Start the bike put the front wheel against a wall, put into first gear with a bit of throttle ease out the clutch. If the clutch slips then adjust until it doesn't.

Bess

  • Golden Flash
  • *****
  • Posts: 1504
    • View Profile
Re: B31 'snatching' in gear
« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2021, 12:41:53 »
Hi,
    Hope this helps:


Best wishes...

Calum

  • Royal Star
  • ***
  • Posts: 121
    • View Profile
Re: B31 'snatching' in gear
« Reply #18 on: 03 June, 2021, 12:49:39 »
Hi
I have the service sheets and indeed, I did them up until the locknuts were flush then a bit more to allow for wear/worn springs. Obviously not enough, but worked nicely before so probably just need a bit more tightening. I made sure it lifted evenly with a DTI stuck to the primary inner casing.

Idie, thanks, I'll give it a go this eve.

Rog1

  • Silver Star
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • M33 Plunger and teles.
    • View Profile
    • The North Bucks Wanderer
Re: B31 'snatching' in gear
« Reply #19 on: 03 June, 2021, 15:16:36 »
My six spring clutch started slipping, so I stripped it down, applied the file where I had to, and reassembled it. I measured each spring, and there was some variation. Perhaps I should have bought new springs, but I wanted to ride the bike. So as at least a temporary cure, I arranged the springs as symmetrically as possible; the shortest spring went between the two longest ones, and so on.

Then I screwed the nuts on to each stud until the springs were all lightly and equally compressed, then tightened them all by the same amount. I cannot remember what this amount was, but it was governed by the nut on the longest spring. So if that spring was 40 thou shorter than it should be, the nut had to be threaded 40 thou further on to the stud, compared with a new spring. If that meant (say) two and a quarter turns of tightening for the longest spring, then all the nuts were tightened two and a quarter turns.

The result was a clutch that hasn't slipped now after hundreds of miles, which needed no further adjustment to lift squarely.