Author Topic: Hi-viz vest  (Read 626 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Hi-viz vest
« on: 14 April, 2021, 18:05:49 »
I'm thinking of buying a hi-viz vest. Any recommendations please ?

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-viz vest
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2021, 18:36:13 »
My one cost me about £1.50. Make sure you buy one that zips up otherwise they blow out like a cape.

Crazy Mike

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2021, 20:29:59 »
Hi Phil

After initially buying a cheaper Hi-Viz vest and being disappointed, I purchased a better quality one off EBay Item Number 154111638115 (£17.99)
Worth the extra in my opinion.

Colin

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2021, 18:31:11 »
Thanks

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:27:47 »
I thought about ordering the same one as idie has, online, but then thought it might be better to go to a shop so that I can try it on for size. But anyway the advice from Colin and idie is useful and appreciated. I think I'll get a decent quality one (without spending a bomb on it), and make sure it has a zip. Thanks again.     Phil

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2021, 16:06:23 »
My cheapo one has lasted 3 years and many washes so far.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2021, 16:32:09 »
Hmmm...bit hard to argue with that. What make is it?

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2021, 18:19:26 »
The label just says H protection at work. It has two wide silver reflective bands. I picked it up at one of those sell everything shops. There are loads on ebay under £5 either with velcro or zip fastener. Go for the zip.

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2021, 18:58:26 »
You might want to go for one which has sleeves as well which massively increases the hi-viz area. Also make sure they have reflective strips on the back and sleeves. Still only cost a tenner or so.
The only problem is that Volvo drivers cannot see you whether you are wearing hi-viz or not - I speak from experience of a broken collar bone, 3 broken ribs and £4000 damage to the bike.

Pete Gill

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2021, 00:18:01 »
Hi All

I stopped wearing Hi Viz, and preferred to make sure my bikes are more visible in other ways (a good battery/generator capacity with full beam headlight, some of my bikes also have LED running spotlights)
Together with that we have to assume we are not easily seen because other road users are not expecting us. We suffer the same as cyclists SMIDSY . Occupy the middle of the road when you can and vary your position on the road to increase the chances of being seen.
Pete

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2021, 09:46:00 »
Hi,

I suppose another thing to consider is being more visible if you need to get off your bike or stop at the side of the road.  In France it is a requirement, not to wear one while riding, but wear one when stopped at the side of the road other than in a parking place.  Some bike gear has Hi-Vis built in but not that much and I think all has reflective bits.  Reflective is useless without something to reflect so a combination of the two works best.  I agree that it is a good idea to make our bikes more visible as well. 

Dave.

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2021, 20:29:43 »
We bought hi-viz tops each from sports direct but my wife had to sew  laces on so I could tie the front together the Velcro came undone at high speeds on modern bike also put a hi-viz headlight cover on my A65 we feel safer if others can see us must be an age thing, Roy