Author Topic: BSA 10 Plunger  (Read 1438 times)

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: BSA 10 Plunger
« Reply #15 on: 17 April, 2021, 13:35:52 »
Going back to your earlier post. The mag on the A10 spins anti-clockwise when viewed from the timing side - so clockwise when viewed from the points end. It might sound daft but when I was setting mine up I set it up as though the points end runs anti-clockwise with predictable results, so it quite easily done - maybe check that your picking the right timing point. Don't know anything about electronic systems but it sounds as though the timing is just not correct. Are the plug leads on the correct cylinders? On the mag system the right hand plug leads goes to the back pickup.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2021, 15:10:39 »
Hi,

In the meantime, can you post photo of the ignition set at fully advanced position?  It might help with a few suggestions.

Dave.

nfraser103

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2021, 16:53:49 »
Hi and thanks for this. Can we touch base closer to the time, as I hope to get her running in a few weeks, but your offer is much appreciated.  Thank you !

nfraser103

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2021, 17:11:04 »
Hi,  There is no magneto, as I fitted Wassall Electronic ignition.  When right piston is set 11/32 BTDC, the ignition is set at C on the ignition for Clockwise orientation, see attached.  I used the instructions and have re-checked this twice after taking tappet covers off to ensure compression stroke.

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 April, 2021, 17:16:46 »
This is pure guesswork as I have never seen the instructions for the electronic ignition but have you tried setting the left piston at 11/32 BTDC on compression and set the pointer to C and see what happens.

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 April, 2021, 17:20:30 »
An easier check would be to swap the plug leads as they fire 180 degrees apart

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 April, 2021, 17:49:48 »
Hi,

Is the pointer on the rotor meant to line up with the one marked C?  Where it is in the photo looks quite bit retarded but in theory that should not stop the engine trying to run.

Dave.

nfraser103

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 April, 2021, 18:08:28 »
It's perhaps a poor photo, as not easy to get the phone in place to take the pic.  I will try swapping over plus leads and see what happens.   Thanks to all for your comments and help, always appreciated.

nfraser103

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: BSA 10 Plunger starting problems
« Reply #23 on: 19 April, 2021, 17:58:38 »
Hi,

I swapped over the plug leads and absolutely no difference.  As I mentioned before, it has electronic ignition, no magneto, so I am at a loss to find the problem. The bike has been totally renovated by me over the winter as it was a wreck when I bought it, everything taken apart, cleaner checked and where necessary replaced.  If there was any members in the West of Ireland, a drop in visit at social distancing would be much appreciated, as I am baffled by why she won't start . Battery fully charged, clean fuel and carb etc etc....

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:38:23 »
Hi, i have set up this system on my brothers A10 and we had similar problems, are you getting a spark? any spark should give you something even a small chuff!

it might sound obvious but is valve timing all ok, leads wont matter what side there on as its lost spark and both fire at same time.

What coil/coils are you using, coil for electronic ignition is different rating.

cheers derek

nfraser103

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:28:27 »
Hello Derek,

Thanks for the message and info on the firing. The coils and leads are part of the complete Electronic Ignition Kit that was supplied by Wassalls which I bought brand new.  There is a reasonable spark from both plugs and I spent quite a lot of time getting the timing and tappets set accurately. I had new valves, rings and big ends fitted when I overhauled the engine, so am at a loss why she won't even give a puff of smoke !!  A 2nd opinion is what's needed....but it looks like there are no local BSA owners in the West of Ireland :(

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:51:26 »
Hi Neil,

There must be someone out there to help but they just do not know it yet.  Would you consider a message on local radio?
In the meantime and/or waiting for Paul or Dean all you can do is re check the settings.  I am sure that you have it correctly set at BTDC but just give that one more check.  I say this because many years ago I had a similar problem with an A10.  I had done the timing on several occasions but this time it would not go.  Eventually a friend came to help and as they watched me they instantly spotted the problem.  As I had the timing cover off I was using a spanner to turn the engine. Guess what?  For some strange reason I was turning the engine backwards putting the timing ATDC!!  So problem solved.
Are you using the back wheel/kickstart to turn the engine?

Dave.

nfraser103

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 April, 2021, 09:28:32 »
Hi Dave, 

It's funny you mention this, as my first BSA A10 rebuild was when I was 16 years old (a very long time ago) and exactly the same story, I wasn't paying attention to the direction of rotation. 

I will recheck it again with "fresh eyes" over the weekend , as it's sort of getting me down......

Thanks again for your support.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 April, 2021, 09:35:04 »
Hi,

I like the bike.  We were not afraid to personalise our bikes back when they were just old bikes rather than 'classics'.

Dave.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 April, 2021, 17:20:53 »
Hello Derek,

Thanks for the message and info on the firing. The coils and leads are part of the complete Electronic Ignition Kit that was supplied by Wassalls which I bought brand new.  There is a reasonable spark from both plugs and I spent quite a lot of time getting the timing and tappets set accurately. I had new valves, rings and big ends fitted when I overhauled the engine, so am at a loss why she won't even give a puff of smoke !!  A 2nd opinion is what's needed....but it looks like there are no local BSA owners in the West of Ireland :(

i would try on here as here as well.

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/

i would also try moving the timing 10 deg either way to see if it makes any difference, it wouldnt be the first time timing marks were wrong!

good luck

derek