Author Topic: BSA Victor  (Read 467 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
BSA Victor
« on: 31 March, 2021, 18:19:58 »
Considering buying one of these, are there any issues I should consider. Generic issues and spares problems. Worked on A10's and A65 without problems. Thank you.

DON GRAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: BSA Victor
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2021, 17:00:23 »
Hi A10. If you're used to working on twins the unit single should hold no fears for you. The Rupert Ratio books are a great source of info & tips. The engine is basic & easy to work on & get bits for. Some cycle parts are hard to source. Parts are easily had - mine came almost exclusively from C&D Autos - nice people to deal with. They vibrate. Once set up nicely they aren't a problem to start. I've got Electrexworld ignition on mine. Fun to ride & light to handle & move about in the garage. Try one.... you might like it!  ;) 

Russell

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2021, 18:20:35 »
Agree with Don. If starting is a problem, a new Wassel (Amal concentric copy) carb and electronic ignition should improve things. I don't know if it's my starting technique, but I found that the oil-filler neck unnecessarily long, causing the cap to rake my inner thigh, so I shortened the neck, as I understand BSA did with the last of the production run before OIF.  Check the bottom oil tank fixing boss for cracks and leaks caused by vibration and/or the fixing bolt bottoming out due to incorrect fixings. 
I found it low-geared as standard for the road, putting vibration right where you don't want it, 50-60 mph: replacing 17t g/box sprocket with 19t solves this and can be done within limits of chain.  Vols 1&2 of  Rupert Ratio's "Unit Single Manual are the Old and New Testaments.
Cheap motorcycling: free tax, no MOT, and negligible insurance (if you have another bike insured you might even get it added free), and it should hold its value.

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2021, 20:50:22 »
Bought my first Victor new back in 1970. Sadly it melted in a barn fire in -83. Bought my second one last year. Don't remember any issues with them. Remember that 200 miles main road trips was quite boring. But a lovely bike on gravel roads. Sounds that an electronic ignition is a decent idea. Got a Boyer Mk IV on my B40. When done right, the Victor starts easily. Slightly different technique than on the Velo or the Vincent. Even my then girl buddy at less than 50 Kg had any problem starting the first Victor.