Author Topic: Points plate threads  (Read 350 times)

courtney

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Points plate threads
« on: 11 April, 2021, 22:36:52 »
One of the threaded holes that holds the points plate in the side case has stripped on my 1965 C15. It was stripped when I got it, and I could get it to hold enough without a washer, but it's now completely stripped and I'd like to sort it out.

I believe I need to tap it oversize and was going to fit a metric standoff bolt or loctite a stud and use a coupling nut to avoid threading in and out of the hole in the future.

What size should I be looking to tap oversize (I was thinking M5) and any pointers or issues with my approach?

Many thanks.
1965 BSA C15
1970 BSA B25 (US spec.)
2004 Aprilia Tuono

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Points plate threads
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2021, 09:12:12 »
Why not helicoil it the correct size?

courtney

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2021, 16:54:14 »
To be honest, I didn't think of it and it seemed more of a faf for the tiny screw.
1965 BSA C15
1970 BSA B25 (US spec.)
2004 Aprilia Tuono

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2021, 18:36:55 »
If you don't mind bodging, there is always Araldite. Clean out the existing thread, coat it with Araldite, oil the thread on the screw and screw it into the Araldite. Let the Araldite set and there will be a screw thread to work with. I remember doing that on a Tiger Cub rocker cover stud 45 years ago when money was non-existent for motorbike maintenance. It never came out and then I sold it on. No doubt this will get hammered by the purists but it was along time ago - I probably wouldn't do it today.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2021, 18:56:20 »
Hi,

JB Weld could well be better than Araldite.

Dave.

Rupert

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2021, 21:08:52 »
The original thread is 2BA. Helicoil is a possibility but there is a chance the insert won't stay put as it isn't in a blind hole. sometimes also there isn't enough metal around the hole on one side to fit an insert without it breaking through.
Last and best resort, weld it up, remachine it flat, drill and tap the new lug.