Author Topic: Clutch springs  (Read 828 times)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch springs
« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2021, 16:05:21 »
 :) :) :)

Where did you get 40mm springs. I cant find anything less than 42mm and the A65 4 spring clutch only takes 39's. None of the dealers I've spoken to have the correct length. But they all say  "these are the correct ones".

There an easy type fitting tool on here from a few days back. But I cant remember which site. Its for A50/A65 but I guess you could use it.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 April, 2021, 16:28:16 »
Hello Mike, I got my springs from Kidderminster Motorcycles. Might be worth asking them to measure them before sending? One thing I noticed was that the ends were blue in places, presumably where they'd been trimmed/ground. I wondered whether it might affect their temper in any way, but hope not. I got a fitting tool from Kidderminster also - worked okay. I mean it's a bit fiddly getting the nuts started on the studs (unless maybe you've got a tool such as Paul Greenfield made, as described in Oct 2019 issue of The Star.) but this little tool did it without too much trouble. Yes, someone else on the forum made a tool, can't remember who.     Phil

Colin SS90

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:42:23 »
I assemble the nuts using a socket, short extension and tee bar putting a similar size nut into the socket to prevent the clutch nuts going into the socket too far. I usually pick a nut that has a depth which holds the clutch nut face level with the end of the socket. This method allows you to put pressure on the nut to hold it in place and also turn it to tension the clutch.
1964 SS90