Author Topic: B44SS Housing  (Read 228 times)

Jim S

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
B44SS Housing
« on: 06 March, 2021, 13:55:28 »
Hello
I am looking at a 1969 BSA B44SS listed for sale. The owner has emailed me a photo of the engine showing the serial number but there appears to be a crack in the housing to the left of the number.
Has anyone seen a crack like this on a B44? What caused it and can it be repaired?

The bike is a 2 hour drive away, so I'm just looking for a little more info before making the trip.

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: B44SS Housing
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2021, 15:13:54 »
I'm not sure that it's a crack. Looks like it is going up from the surface. It could be be from a form joint when casted. Similar to one to the right of the number.
I have the same to the right on both the B40WD and the B44VS but none to the left. Might they have used different casting models for the B44SS?

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2021, 15:36:47 »
Definitely a mould joint mark and hasn't been fettled off which is quite normal. Not a crack, purely cosmetic.

Jim S

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2021, 15:38:26 »
Thanks Mike40 M
Are you saying you have a similar indication (my picture left side of s/n) on one of your bikes?

The line on the right side of my photo appears to be raised material and as you say, that is probably a casting form split line. The line to the left looks to have depth to it.

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2021, 18:18:02 »
None to the left on neither B40 nor B44. Hard to tell from your picture if the left goes in or out, but I believe it's no crack.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2021, 19:19:57 »
Hi,

For peace of mind it may be good idea to remove the nut and washer and the bolt as well to see if there is anything in the hole.  Get every thing really clean and see if there are any signs further in to the casing.  If nothing then put the bolt back and enjoy riding your bike with confidence.

Dave.