Author Topic: Trailering a motorcycle to europe.  (Read 1024 times)

cee-b

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Trailering a motorcycle to europe.
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2021, 10:28:39 »

Anyway, politics aside, and at the risk of getting shot down further... surely the easiest solution here is just to ride the thing  ;D

I guess that is really dependent on where you're riding from/to Calum.

Popping over from Kent to Belgium for the weekend might be pleasant. However, the prospect of riding from Cornwall to Andorra (with kit for 10 days) doesn't strike me as being too practical.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2021, 10:43:20 »
Hi Colin

A CPD Carnet, (Carnet de Passages en Douane) is what I am referring to and on the .gov site and it looks like it is for passing through multiple countries such as travelling through Africa or single country visits to the likes of Australia and New Zealand   It seems Andorra now requires a IDP 1949 since the UK left the EU.

From the .gov site
"Check which IDP you need
Check the table to find out if you need an IDP. There are 3 types of IDP:

The IDP you need depends on what country youíre visiting.

If youíre travelling through more than one country, you might need more than one type of IDP.

If the country youíre visiting is not included in the table, check with the embassy of the country youíre travelling to.

If youíre hiring a car, check with your car hire company.

If you already have an IDP, make sure itís still valid in the country youíre visiting.

Country or territory   Type of IDP   More information
Albania   1968   
Algeria   1949   
Andorra   1949   
Argentina   1949   
Armenia   1968    "

I thought the point being discussed was trailering a bike to the German International so sorry for my error.

Dave.
« Last Edit: 18 February, 2021, 10:46:39 by DAVE BRADY »

cee-b

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 February, 2021, 12:13:08 »

A CPD Carnet, (Carnet de Passages en Douane) is what I am referring to and on the .gov site and it looks like it is for passing through multiple countries such as travelling through Africa or single country visits to the likes of Australia and New Zealand   It seems Andorra now requires a IDP 1949 since the UK left the EU.

Thanks for the clarification Dave - same document, different name.

I think that you are right, most people are talking about trailering to Germany or Belgium. However, the ultimate destination is irrelevant, it is getting past the nice man of the Douanes when you arrive in Calais (or whichever ferry port) that might prove to be the issue.

Whether visiting multiple countries or just staying within a few miles of the ferry port, the same regulations apply on entering the EU from UK.

As has been said: 
It seems that you are right in that a road registered vehicle doesn't need a carnet. Unfortunately it appears some of the French custom officers don't seem to know the rules and are stopping people from entering. You ever tried arguing with one. This needs sorting out. 

My personal situation regarding crossing the border to Andorra is unchanged. Andorra has never been part of the EU, so us leaving has not had any effect on our status with Andorra - no Carnet (CPD) is required for vehicles or motorcycles.

Hopefully, this will get sorted out and road registered vehicles will be exempted from the paperwork faff.

Col

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 February, 2021, 12:44:25 »
Hi,

There are thousands of BSAOC members and their personal needs and enjoyment are/is as varied as their faces.  Personally both myself and my wife intend to ride our bikes to events until we are no longer physically able to do so.  At that point we may consider a trailer.  Until then we will enjoy the company of all BSAOC members regardless of how they get their BSA to an event so long as their van/car/trailer does not get in the way of camping.  We are all getting older or have other limiting issues and as we cannot get spares or parts re-engineered we are the limiting factors.  So, participate don't vegetate.

Dave.

Yes indeed, that comment was fairly tongue in cheek really but it would solve the issue ;D as you say, variety is to be celebrated! It would be boring if we all did the same.

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 February, 2021, 12:47:56 »

Anyway, politics aside, and at the risk of getting shot down further... surely the easiest solution here is just to ride the thing  ;D

I guess that is really dependent on where you're riding from/to Calum.

Popping over from Kent to Belgium for the weekend might be pleasant. However, the prospect of riding from Cornwall to Andorra (with kit for 10 days) doesn't strike me as being too practical.

Each to their own! It's certainly doable, many have done world trips on old machines and continut to do so. I am of the opinion that they were built to be ridden, although I do appreciate everyone has different tolerance levels of comfort, noise, vibration... the list goes on!

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 February, 2021, 13:18:23 »
Hi Colin,

Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein are also not part of the EU but did not and still don't require a IDP, not a CPD, but for some reason now that we have left, Andorra appears on the .gov site list.  It may be worth checking direct with Andorra.

Photo shows our bike on route to Nordkapp after the Swedish Rally in 2003.  It can be done. 3 weeks and 4000 miles.

Dave.

Calum

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2021, 13:28:29 »
Now we're talking. Brilliant  8)

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 February, 2021, 16:22:36 »
We were planning to take in the rally as part of a longer holiday motorhoming around Europe with the M21 and sidecar on a trailer for local trips out from wherever we stay.
However, we wouldn't want to be 'in the way' at the rally.

Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 February, 2021, 16:44:56 »
Hi Bernie,

Hopefully we all get back to travelling soon.  There is room for everyone and I would love to see and hear your M21 thundering along and echoing off the mountains.  If not this year maybe next.

Dave.