Author Topic: I will be riding a BSA A50 Royal Star this summer.  (Read 440 times)

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
I will be riding a BSA A50 Royal Star this summer.
« on: 13 February, 2021, 16:05:09 »
Least that's the plan anyway.

I bought this A50 Royal Star sight unseen a few days ago. At present it's in BC on the West coast of Canada, but have arranged to collect it in Alberta, from there I will bring it home to Saskatchewan, with any luck I will have it next weekend.   

I had been looking for an unmolested BSA twin for a long time, it looks like I have eventually found a nice unrestored one.  It looks honest to me, I what do you think ?

« Last Edit: 13 February, 2021, 16:12:13 by Mick Boon »

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: I will be riding a BSA A50 Royal Star this summer.
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2021, 16:10:16 »
I'm having a problem loading pics, the first one was the correct size but the rest were enormous. Try again 

https://imgur.com/tEBW5Qq

https://i.imgur.com/8HilbgL.jpg

https://imgur.com/dRoA2zz

https://imgur.com/uXzMzB2

https://imgur.com/MMjmsu1

https://imgur.com/uyyKTKR
« Last Edit: 13 February, 2021, 16:21:36 by Mick Boon »

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2021, 16:21:26 »
Hi Mick,

Welcome to BSA ownership. A nice looking bike.  If it is as good inside as it is on the outside you have a little gem and after a good service and oil change should last for ever.

Dave.

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2021, 16:23:34 »
Hi Mick,
Looks nice - I'd guess a later model. Also, the crankcase has a blanked off cover on the front to take a tacho drive which is interesting (well, to me at least!) as they didn't all have that.
Do you have the numbers - would help to determine the exact model.

It's best to resize pictures to maybe 640*480 or so before uploading as the site doesn't scale and so hi-res pics do appear huge!

Enjoy your new bike!

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
Bantam D7
C15 project
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2021, 16:30:31 »
Thanks Dave.    The bloke I bought it from is apparently a mechanic, he says he replaced the wiring loom with a new one, fitted a new speedo, and had the mudguards and the side panels refinished.    The bike reminds me of when I was growing up in England, BSA's were the most common of all the bikes back then.  The only thing that looks out of place are the high handle bars, I guess that's a North American thing.
« Last Edit: 13 February, 2021, 16:53:49 by Mick Boon »

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2021, 16:37:36 »
Hi Mick,
Looks nice - I'd guess a later model. Also, the crankcase has a blanked off cover on the front to take a tacho drive which is interesting (well, to me at least!) as they didn't all have that.
Do you have the numbers - would help to determine the exact model.

It's best to resize pictures to maybe 640*480 or so before uploading as the site doesn't scale and so hi-res pics do appear huge!

Enjoy your new bike!

Cheers,
Bernie
I think it's a 1968 bike, the VIN number is A50 RB 7362 

I used IMGUR for the photos, the first one was ok then why not the rest, makes no sense.

« Last Edit: 13 February, 2021, 16:48:37 by Mick Boon »

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2021, 02:56:49 »

Also, the crankcase has a blanked off cover on the front to take a tacho drive which is interesting (well, to me at least!) as they didn't all have that.

What do they normally have Bernie ?

PS, The bike set me back $4000 Canadian ( 2,275 UK pounds )  I think bikes are cheaper in Canada than the UK.
« Last Edit: 16 February, 2021, 03:58:09 by Mick Boon »

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2021, 04:00:47 »

Also, the crankcase has a blanked off cover on the front to take a tacho drive which is interesting (well, to me at least!) as they didn't all have that.

What do they normally have Bernie ?

PS, The bike set me back $4000 Canadian ( 2,275 UK pounds )  I think bikes are cheaper in Canada than the UK, maybe it's because they can't be used as much, it was - 36  here this morning.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2021, 08:12:58 »
Your inner and outer timing covers are a bit later than the rest of the engine - that entry for the clutch cable was introduced for the 1970 season models.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2021, 08:19:28 »
Hi,

The earliest parts book I have is for up 1965 and it shows the blanking plate. This would have been on the basic models that did not have a tacho fitted and so did not need the attachment for the cable in the case and therefore blanked off.  However, I have had a read of the earliest workshop manual in the Members' Area and it looks like the earliest ones did not have the option for a tacho to be fitted so was probably only available on the sports models that came later perhaps in '64?  I suppose at some point when the sales of sports models grew it was easier and cheaper to make one case and fit the blanking plate.

Dave.
« Last Edit: 16 February, 2021, 08:21:32 by DAVE BRADY »

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2021, 08:37:59 »
Dave, I suspect you're right - both my previous bikes were earlier, a '62 and '63 and neither had the blanking plate, just a smooth casting.
Once they started fitting tachos then blanking non-tacho models would have been cheaper than maintaining supply of two separate castings.

Although I don't know if that logic applied at BSA in the late 60's - maybe they just grabbed a casing and blanked it if necessary!

Mick, if you have the timing cover off you'll be able to see where the tacho drive would be - it's just an extended spindle in the oil pump that sticks out through the front of the case with a speedo-type square end to it.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
Bantam D7
C15 project
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2021, 14:06:41 »
Your inner and outer timing covers are a bit later than the rest of the engine - that entry for the clutch cable was introduced for the 1970 season models.

That actually makes sense as to why it's registered as a salvage bike.

Does this look normal ? It looks like it could be a replacement frame.

« Last Edit: 16 February, 2021, 14:58:48 by Mick Boon »

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2021, 19:38:34 »
Hi Mick,

I think the frame is possibly '69/'70 as it has the lugs for mounting a full fairing on the headstock.  I have a '68 that does not have them and a late '69 that does. 

Dave.

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2021, 12:07:35 »
Thanks Dave, I wondered what those lugs were for.

Mick Boon

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 February, 2021, 15:15:27 »
Got it home after a 16 hour round trip.     From what I can see there  there are a few minor things I need to sort out but I'm happy.

« Last Edit: 21 February, 2021, 15:17:33 by Mick Boon »