Author Topic: Kick starting a 1971 OIF A65.  (Read 557 times)

boriscross

• Star
    • View Profile
Kick starting a 1971 OIF A65.
« on: 29 January, 2021, 21:00:25 »
I find it easier to kick start this bike on the centre stand but have heard that this can damage the frame. Has anybody got any experience of this? Thank you. 

PeteRae

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Kick starting a 1971 OIF A65.
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2021, 21:59:43 »
Do you not find it kinda unstable on the centre stand? Mine has been heated and bent into position a number of times as it had twisted. Dont know about damaging frame but certainly can twist centre stand.
I prefer starting mine by leaning it slightly to the left side, no stands, and a nice steady kick. I'm not the biggest of blokes either.  8)
you've seen it, you've heard it and you're still asking questions!

boriscross

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2021, 14:23:12 »
I seem to be able to do it OK on the centre stand but read that this can damage the joint at the bottom across the frame. I will try what you suggest as I don't really want to do it on the stand.

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:40:24 »
Boris,
Due to the position of the kickstart pivot brackets welded to the crossmember under the gearbox, the excessive strain put on it when kickstarted has been known to break the crossmember welds to the frame. The giveaways are when on the centrestand the bike leans to one side or both tyres touch the floor.

Being realistic, I think it depends on how heavy you are and how you kickstart it. Unless you're one of these 20 stone blokes who feel the  need to jump on the kickstart from a great height then I wouldn't worry. The engine turns over quite easily without the need to apply excessive weight from the sky. On my previous OIF Thunderbolt, it would start with a gentle prod -most of the time.

Hope this helps
Chris

Ian C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2021, 15:25:59 »
Do you not find it kinda unstable on the centre stand? Mine has been heated and bent into position a number of times as it had twisted. Dont know about damaging frame but certainly can twist centre stand.

My OIF A65 centre stand twisted because the stops on the frame were unevenly worn. I built them back up with weld then ground back so that the (new) stand touched on both when down..