Author Topic: Removing outer timing cover  (Read 735 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Removing outer timing cover
« on: 21 January, 2021, 10:37:19 »
Morning all, I notice that in my instruction manual (1965 B40 F) it says ( see attached photo) that in order to remove the outer timing cover you first need to remove the contact breaker unit, and that before doing that you should rotate the engine until the points are closed. I've not seen that written anywhere else. Is that because it's obvious to anyone except a novice like me, or is it not really necessary?  Thanks as always.  Phil.

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Removing outer timing cover
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2021, 10:49:25 »
I think you will find the reason is in the text ...“Which will ensure clearance between the cam and the heel of the moving contract, thus facilitating removal“
 ;)

AdrianS

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2021, 10:53:33 »
I think you will find the reason is in the text ...“Which will ensure clearance between the cam and the heel of the moving contract, thus facilitating removal“
 ;)

As he said!  You can refit the cover if the points are open but you need to wedge the points open to save damaging the points heel.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2021, 13:35:36 »
Haha, well yes, I take your point. But I wondered why other instructions for removing the outer cover , eg Rupert Ratio (vol. 1, p. 19) make no mention of removing the points atall. Phil

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2021, 15:54:31 »
BTW, my "haha" was re Pete's post (in case you were wondering what I was laughing at, Adrian!)

Can I not take the outer timing cover off without removing the points unit?

Phil.

AdrianS

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2021, 16:54:15 »
You can leave the points unit fitted. Just be careful when refitting that the points heel doesn’t snag on the cam if the points were open!

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2021, 09:23:02 »
Please forgive my denseness, having never done this before. When removing the outer timing case cover, what happens to the contact breaker assembly (points, condenser, back plate)? Which is the case: 1. I should remove the assembly first, OR:  2. The timing side outer cover comes away complete with the contact breaker assembly, OR: 3. The timing side outer cover slides over the assembly leaving it in place as it comes off? OR: 4. None of the above, and I am even more dense than I thought?  Thanks for your patience. Phil

Ian C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2021, 11:20:24 »
On the side points models, the contact breaker backplate is attached to the Outer Timing Cover. So it is up to you how you proceed, but make sure to allow enough slack on the points wire to aid removal.. In addition, (if you remove points plate first) why not mark the points plate and Timing Cover to ensure it goes back in same place to help keep the timing correct.. HTH