Author Topic: Pint - US or UK?  (Read 695 times)

B-S-Africa

• Star
    • View Profile
Pint - US or UK?
« on: 20 January, 2021, 17:10:09 »
I stay in a country that uses the metric system, which I also grew up with. My BSA forced me to study the imperial system. My one manual, a Clymer, was printed in the USA. It refers to units like pints. But there is a noticeable difference between the US and the UK pint (and also other units). My question: when a BSA manual refers to a volume unit, do I follow the UK or the USA? Is the reference to volume country of publication orientated, or country of bike manufacturing orientated?

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Pint - US or UK?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2021, 17:56:18 »
Hi,
     Usually indicates US capacities such as 1 gall US, if not I assume its imperial.

Best wishes...

Pete Gill

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2021, 19:58:21 »
Hi there
A pint is 20 fluid oz and a gallon is 8 pints - that’s uk imperial and i assume that’s what BSA mean when they wrote their manuals.
As teenagers drinking a gallon of beer on the night out was the thing!
In US I think a pint is 16 fluid oz ? And I’m not sure but is a gallon then 80% of an imperial gallon ?
Pete

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2021, 09:48:27 »
Hi,

I think US fluid ounces are different as Imperial uses amount of water that weighs an ounce whereas US uses amount of wine that weighs an ounce.
I must admit I looked it up and it is a bit confusing but some BSA manuals have metric as well and if in doubt do a conversion on line.

Dave.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2021, 11:12:01 »
 :) :) :)

Hi
I couldn't see anything to indicate what bike you are talking so:- I'm talking A50 A65, This is from my handbook/manual

Engine Imperial measure/Litres
1962==6pints===3.4Ltrs
1963-65===5.5pints===3.1Ltrs
1968on===5pints===2.8Ltrs

So if your listing gives a higher quantity in pints it is USA measure. I do not have the exact ratio to hand. Suggest you Google it.

Any further help just shout--someone here is always listening.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

Pete A10

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2021, 11:28:29 »
The easy answer is don't use a USA manual for a British bike. Get a Haynes manual or access all the tech info through the BSAOC members section. If it's a decent manual it should differentiate between US pints and Imperial pints anyway.
The US pint was developed because it was found that US troops in WW1 did not have the same capacity for beer that the British troops had so that had a smaller pint to try to maintain bragging rights on a night out.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2021, 12:26:27 »
 :) :)

I agree with that sentiment however just in case.

1 pint imperial --1.201US==.568(.57) Ltrs

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

B-S-Africa

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2021, 13:05:43 »
Hi,

I have various manuals. Hard copies and electronic. The spanners thing I’ve gotten under control. So also the feeler sizes. I am, however, still very unfamiliar with working with non-metric fluid units. I often have to convert imperial units to metric, since (as mentioned) I am in a metric country and they don’t sell here fluids by the pints or gallons.  I am aware that there are differences between the countries opposite of the Atlantic and that is why I want certainty. I take it that when working on the BSA I shall stick to UK unit values. British bike = British values.

Thanks for the inputs. Much appreciated!  :) :)

B-S-Africa

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2021, 13:08:42 »
P.S.
And yes, I neglected to point out, it is a ‘70 A50.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2021, 13:34:18 »
Regards converting liquid measurements can you not buy a cooking measuring jug. I use one all the time it makes converting easy.

B-S-Africa

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2021, 14:16:44 »
Regards converting liquid measurements can you not buy a cooking measuring jug. I use one all the time it makes converting easy.

Thanks, I indeed have cooking measuring jugs, four or five. You are right, they are very useful, but would that be the US or UK pint? They convert differently to metric.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2021, 17:13:56 »
Look at the conversion on the jugs. English pint is 20 fluid ounces American pint 16 fluid ounces.

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January, 2021, 12:57:01 »
Just a thought but, unless the yanks made a different engine then  the required capacity would be the same just measured differently so by checking a uk manual and a us manual you will get different figures but the same measurement, a few calculations should tell you which manual is which........does that make sense?